Silverado WT (Work Truck) availability for non-commercial customers

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 Powerstroke, Tesla Model 3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Good points. I made an early Cybertruck reservation. Which ever comes first, I’ll probably take.

The Silverado has impressed me a lot, though. Before the reveal, I hoped for a fast Cybertruck reveal and then the Silverado to be my second option which I would only take if I received a Silverado allocation and still not have a firm production target for the Cybertruck.

Now, after the reveal, the Silverado is equal (and growing on me) to the Cybertruck?
This is my situation also. I was interested in a Cybertruck dual motor because it was AWD, can haul 3500 lbs and would have been under $50k. The payload is important to me as I’m replacing an F250. I have a low reservation number on the CT but now I think the dual motor will be well over $50k and delayed.

The Silverado has some nice features but the hauling capability at 1300 lbs is pretty low. Still, if the WT with the 400 mile battery becomes available for under $60k or the range on the WT with the smaller battery is 300 miles I would probably buy it rather than wait for the CT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8
This is my situation also. I was interested in a Cybertruck dual motor because it was AWD, can haul 3500 lbs and would have been under $50k. The payload is important to me as I’m replacing an F250. I have a low reservation number on the CT but now I think the dual motor will be well over $50k and delayed.

The Silverado has some nice features but the hauling capability at 1300 lbs is pretty low. Still, if the WT with the 400 mile battery becomes available for under $60k or the range on the WT with the smaller battery is 300 miles I would probably buy it rather than wait for the CT.
I would expect the WT in its base form would be 40K like Mary B said at the reveal. If not, GM is not competing with Ford’s base Lightning at 40K which they BTW sells to non-commercial customers from day 1.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired Special Ed Teacher/Water Company Mgr./Farmer
I base my opinions on an article from CNET published January 11th.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/chevy-silverado-ev-first-edition-reservation-gm-ceo/

Reservation books are open for Chevrolet's upcoming flagship electric pickup, the Silverado EV. But if you're looking to score a Silverado EV First Edition, you're out of luck. According to comments General Motors CEO Mary Barra made during an interview with Bloomberg on Wednesday (embedded above), eager customers filled reservations in 12 minutes.

The Silverado EV WT variant is set for production in spring of 2023, though every pickup is spoken for already. Around summer 2024, we'll see the standard RST trim enter production, unless GM accelerates its time line. It wouldn't be the first time, as the automaker pulled forward the launch and production of the Cadillac Lyriq EV, for example.
UNQUOTE

The way I understand this, GM will produce only the WT (which is NOT labeled as First Edition)in the Spring of 2023, and will produce the RSTs (Both First Edition and Regular) in the Summer to Fall of 2023.

If your Email Reservation Confirmation Time is beyond 1:12 pm EST you are out of luck on a First Edition RST. Unknown how many WTs will be produced (I would guess that Commercial and Fleet Reservations for the next year will dictate how many).

My Confirmation is 1:11 pm EST at the "As the #1 Silverado dealer in the Southeast and the #1 Chevy seller in Kentucky, we know what our customers want" (Dan Cummins, KY).

I would believe that I will have my pick of either a WT in the Spring of 2023 (depending on available Commercial Orders after Fleet Customers) or a First Edition RST come Summer.

Of course, which one I would pick would depend upon how fat my wallet would be:

WT: $40,000 PLUS any Options + 6% Sales Tax + Destination Charges + Title Fees + ADM (I hope NOT) MINUS TAX REBATE (I hope so!).

FIRST EDITION: $105,000 PLUS any Options + 6% Sales Tax + Destination Charges + Title Fees + ADM (I hope NOT) MINUS TAX REBATE (I hope so!).

Any Reservation Confirmation Email dated after 1:12 pm EST on January 5th might still get a WT Spring to Fall, 2023, but no chance on a "First Edition" RST.

In addition, anyone visiting their Reservation page today cannot change dealers (the button does not work yet). According to my dealer you must call GM. My Reservation does not yet show up on my Chevrolet Account Website. According to GM an update to the database is underway (no complete date yet available), as no update on the number of Reservations to date.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I base my opinions on an article from CNET published January 11th.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/chevy-silverado-ev-first-edition-reservation-gm-ceo/

Reservation books are open for Chevrolet's upcoming flagship electric pickup, the Silverado EV. But if you're looking to score a Silverado EV First Edition, you're out of luck. According to comments General Motors CEO Mary Barra made during an interview with Bloomberg on Wednesday (embedded above), eager customers filled reservations in 12 minutes.

The Silverado EV WT variant is set for production in spring of 2023, though every pickup is spoken for already. Around summer 2024, we'll see the standard RST trim enter production, unless GM accelerates its time line. It wouldn't be the first time, as the automaker pulled forward the launch and production of the Cadillac Lyriq EV, for example.
UNQUOTE

The way I understand this, GM will produce only the WT (which is NOT labeled as First Edition)in the Spring of 2023, and will produce the RSTs (Both First Edition and Regular) in the Summer to Fall of 2023.

If your Email Reservation Confirmation Time is beyond 1:12 pm EST you are out of luck on a First Edition RST. Unknown how many WTs will be produced (I would guess that Commercial and Fleet Reservations for the next year will dictate how many).

My Confirmation is 1:11 pm EST at the "As the #1 Silverado dealer in the Southeast and the #1 Chevy seller in Kentucky, we know what our customers want" (Dan Cummins, KY).

I would believe that I will have my pick of either a WT in the Spring of 2023 (depending on available Commercial Orders after Fleet Customers) or a First Edition RST come Summer.

Of course, which one I would pick would depend upon how fat my wallet would be:

WT: $40,000 PLUS any Options + 6% Sales Tax + Destination Charges + Title Fees + ADM (I hope NOT) MINUS TAX REBATE (I hope so!).

FIRST EDITION: $105,000 PLUS any Options + 6% Sales Tax + Destination Charges + Title Fees + ADM (I hope NOT) MINUS TAX REBATE (I hope so!).

Any Reservation Confirmation Email dated after 1:12 pm EST on January 5th might still get a WT Spring to Fall, 2023, but no chance on a "First Edition" RST.

In addition, anyone visiting their Reservation page today cannot change dealers (the button does not work yet). According to my dealer you must call GM. My Reservation does not yet show up on my Chevrolet Account Website. According to GM an update to the database is underway (no complete date yet available), as no update on the number of Reservations to date.
change dealer button is there and works. I changed dealers the other day on my reservation page and it won't show up under your regular GM account. In the email there is a button that says "manage reservation" when you click it will bring you to a place where you put your reservation # and email and they send you a passcode that brings you to your reservation page

Last edited:

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
...The Silverado EV WT variant is set for production in spring of 2023, though every pickup is spoken for already...
I think this is the key info here for those of us wanting the WT that we won't be getting it until 2024.

2022-chevrolet-silverado-ev-19-1641371340 (1).jpg

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not exactly so.... The statement only said the "First Edition" (RST) is spoken for. They could still produce mucho WTs in the Spring 2023. They have a year or more lead time as with the Lightning Ford had only 8 months Reservations to Orders.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
Not exactly so.... The statement only said the "First Edition" (RST) is spoken for. They could still produce mucho WTs in the Spring 2023. They have a year or more lead time as with the Lightning Ford had only 8 months Reservations to Orders.
This is the sentence that was in your quote : " The Silverado EV WT variant is set for production in spring of 2023, though every pickup is spoken for already. "

That seems to be referring to the WT, and that every one is spoken for (by fleet customers).

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the correction - You may be right but I still hope that GM accelerates production based on advance reservation and does not run into the Ford debut problems.

BTW

Trying to gauge the number of reservations to date - just spoke with my dealer who advertises as "As the #1 Silverado dealer in the Southeast". As of today, almost exactly 7 days after Reservations opened, they have 25 Reservations.

OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8
Thanks for the correction - You may be right but I still hope that GM accelerates production based on advance reservation and does not run into the Ford debut problems.

BTW

Trying to gauge the number of reservations to date - just spoke with my dealer who advertises as "As the #1 Silverado dealer in the Southeast". As of today, almost exactly 7 days after Reservations opened, they have 25 Reservations.
Will you keep your spot in line with GM if you change dealership? I mean, if I made a reservation before thise other 25 people, I will be in front of the line with that dealership? I am not going to change dealership, but trying to work out how it all works

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unknown at this time. GM has the rule book and is not saying.

I would contact the possible new dealer and ask him (and get it in writing before proceeding).

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
Unknown at this time. GM has the rule book and is not saying.

I would contact the possible new dealer and ask him (and get it in writing before proceeding).
This statement is included on the Chevrolet website when you attempt to change dealers: " By selecting the “change dealer” button below, your reservation spot in line will be saved. "

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I changed my dealership and it just gives you a new reservation #, but the new email still shows the original reservation date. I am guessing that depending on when others reserved could move you up or back in the line when switching to a different dealer

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Why would that be? Does a commercial customer need a truck more than I do? I certainly hope GM will change that… or maybe I am more loyal to GM than GM is to me??
That, or let the corporate work trucks get all the bugs knocked out so we aren't taking a $105k truck to the dealer every few days.