Silverado WT (Work Truck) availability for non-commercial customers

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8
The trim I am interested in is the Work Truck. Is that not available in spring 2023? I just get confused because on the reservation page it states WT and RST to be available in 2024?? Then when you go to the “fleet” reservation page it states WT to be available spring 2023??? Is GM going to screw non-commercial customers and prioritize commercial buyers?

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Sounds about right. I just rewatched part of the announcement and they say they will release the WT in spring of 2023 including a base model followed by the first edition in the fall of 2023. Seems like from their webpage that they will be screwing over the general public.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I think that's exactly what it means. The impression I got was commercial customers and those who got the first edition will be the first ones off the lines.

OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8
Sounds about right. I just rewatched part of the announcement and they say they will release the WT in spring of 2023 including a base model followed by the first edition in the fall of 2023. Seems like from their webpage that they will be screwing over the general public.
Why would that be? Does a commercial customer need a truck more than I do? I certainly hope GM will change that… or maybe I am more loyal to GM than GM is to me??

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Why would that be? Does a commercial customer need a truck more than I do? I certainly hope GM will change that… or maybe I am more loyal to GM than GM is to me??
based on the amount of reservations the public does, yes. It's not about need, it's about what will bring chevy the most money. Most companies do not release a vehicle like this in a fleet version before the commercial version.

OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8
based on the amount of reservations the public does, yes. It's not about need, it's about what will bring chevy the most money. Most companies do not release a vehicle like this in a fleet version before the commercial version.
Maybe, but why would GM will make more $ per sold Silverado EV if a commercial buyer buy?

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson
Counterpoint: let the fleet customers be the beta testers to work out any software glitches or initial recalls before I take delivery on a WT.

But there are many reasons fleet customers typically come first: barebones models in limited paint colors are easier to produce while you're ramping up; fleet customers buy many more vehicles and are typically quite loyal as long as their needs are met. Consumers on the other hand, demand niceties fleet customers do not (even in base models), want choices in paint colors beyond white or black, and have fickle brand loyalty (this will be my first GM after being impressed with my wife's Bolt).

Last edited:

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Maybe, but why would GM will make more $ per sold Silverado EV if a commercial buyer buy?
Most companies main customers are commercial buyers, not fleet. Fleet is just added sales. Commercial buyers are their main business so it makes sense to focus on your main revenue first

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Counterpoint: let the fleet customers be the beta testers to work out any software glitches or initial recalls before I take delivery on a WT.

But there are many reasons fleet customers typically come first: barebones models in limited paint colors are easier to produce while you're ramping up; fleet customers buy many more vehicles and are typically quite loyal as long as their needs are met. Consumers on the other hand, demand niceties fleet customers do not (even in base models), want choices in paint colors beyond white or black, and have fickle brand loyalty (this will be my first GM after being impressed with my wife's Bolt).
That may be true, but you also don't want to have your "loyal" customers be the beta testers then. If fleet buyers tend to be more loyal why would you want to give them first dibs on a totally new product that will 100% have some kind of issue and risk losing their loyalty.

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson
That may be true, but you also don't want to have your "loyal" customers be the beta testers then. If fleet buyers tend to be more loyal why would you want to give them first dibs on a totally new product that will 100% have some kind of issue and risk losing their loyalty.
You give them first dibs for the prestige (notice how Enterprise featured in the presentation). Fleet buying decisions aren't typically made by the people driving the trucks. They hear the complaints from their employees, sure, but they know they get ironed out eventually, and don't want to give up the negotiated pricing they have with their manufacturer of choice to jump ship and put in the work of negotiating a new deal elsewhere. It sort of goes back to the point @techguydave made: companies aren't loyal to their workers; they're loyal to their bottom line. For the really large fleet buyers (we're talking car rental companies and other multinational companies) negotiating those contracts is time-consuming, which translates to "expensive".

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Either way I want my EV truck asap. I am tired of placing reservations only to wait years to get one. Plus fleet sales are still lower when compared to regular sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCL

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson
Either way I want my EV truck asap. I am tired of placing reservations only to wait years to get one. Plus fleet sales are still lower when compared to commercial sales.
I'm with you there. I like everything about the Silverado more (front trunk space and payload capacity notwithstanding) than the Lightning... but I haven't canceled my Lightning reservation either.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I'm with you there. I like everything about the Silverado more (front trunk space and payload capacity notwithstanding) than the Lightning... but I haven't canceled my Lightning reservation either.
for me it's either this or the rivian truck. Either way I am waiting

OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8
Good points. I made an early Cybertruck reservation. Which ever comes first, I’ll probably take.

The Silverado has impressed me a lot, though. Before the reveal, I hoped for a fast Cybertruck reveal and then the Silverado to be my second option which I would only take if I received a Silverado allocation and still not have a firm production target for the Cybertruck.

Now, after the reveal, the Silverado is equal (and growing on me) to the Cybertruck?