Window of demand for Silverado EV closing?

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if all the guys (and girls) waiting patiently for their Silverado EV's are bothered by production getting pushed back. It seems like all the talk of hundreds of thousands of them being made was just wrong. I don't think buyers were deliberately mislead, but maybe a little bit. 18 of them were made last year and they won't be produced in significant numbers for a year or two or more. Things aren't looking great for EV's in general. I wouldn't be surprised if the Silverado EV were cancelled altogether. It could be that with all the delays, the demand for a vehicle that huge and expensive could evaporate before it's even made. I haven't cancelled my reservation, so I still have some interest in what happens.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
With the lack of Silverado EVs, doubled in price, and issues with other GM models, I am getting quite disappointed.

Will be asking for my $100 refund for the Silverado EV and $100 for the GMC Denali EV reservations I placed over a year ago.

I could not wait so I got a Lightning EV and now a Mach E.

Next EV will have to be a different gen battery (sodium or solid state) - the first gen lithum NCM batteries are a mess....

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
A car is not a refrigerator and a truck is not a car. People have an emotional attachment to their cars, especially their trucks. I'm sure GM / Chevy understand this after making cars for a century. When I think of all the tens of thousands of reservations and all the disappointment it makes me sad. GM miscalculated really bad. I haven't seen any apology to all the disappointed reservation holders. It actually matters, I think.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
I added myself to the reservation list in August 2023, so I'm pretty far down the list. I absolutely do not want a first model year vehicle, and am actually considering pulling the trigger on a 2025 Lyriq or Escalade IQ. Alas, i sure hope Ultium doesn't become the ultimate flop. That could end GM.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
A car is not a refrigerator and a truck is not a car. People have an emotional attachment to their cars, especially their trucks. I'm sure GM / Chevy understand this after making cars for a century. When I think of all the tens of thousands of reservations and all the disappointment it makes me sad. GM miscalculated really bad. I haven't seen any apology to all the disappointed reservation holders. It actually matters, I think.
Right ?

When Ford was introducing their '22 Lightning, during the startup after reservations were taken, the CEO, COO and president all made frequent announcements of product success, delays, setbacks, recalls, and even comped us with points and/or cash...

Ford kept the public in the loop.

I had the first year '22 Lightning EV and loved it - very well made, no issues, and drove like a race car.

Because I was so happy with Ford, I traded in the Lightning for the Mach E and have not looked back.

SilverEDoEV

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Manufacturing
My local dealer cancelled my Silverado EV for me without even asking me.
Sent me a $100 refund check for my hour 1 reservation with a letter stating "......Recent news about EV launch products and waning demand has slowed rollout of future products....."
Good thing I still have another reservation in an EV friendly state about 600 miles away. :sneaky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
That's an alarming angle. Your local (Central Florida?) dealer has so little loyalty, faith, optimism, foresight, belief (etc, etc) in his own product that he is cancelling reservations as a "favor" to his customers. Not only is he pessimistic about the future if EV's, he is contributing to what he hopes is their failure. Of course it is TOTALLY political. Maybe somebody can explain. There has never been much of a market for EV's. Why would they expect that to change so quickly?