Why the payload is only 1300 lb?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Toyota Prius Prime
1300 lb is even less than a minivan right?

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
In the old days half ton pickup meant you could carry a half a ton, or 1000 pounds. 1300 pounds is better than a half a ton. Though this really falls short of the F150 Lightning's 2235 pounds of payload. This makes me second guess whether I want a Silverado EV as I'm planning to tow an Airstream and put stuff in the truck bed and cab. 1300 pounds isn't much at all.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
In the old days half ton pickup meant you could carry a half a ton, or 1000 pounds. 1300 pounds is better than a half a ton. Though this really falls short of the F150 Lightning's 2235 pounds of payload. This makes me second guess whether I want a Silverado EV as I'm planning to tow an Airstream and put stuff in the truck bed and cab. 1300 pounds isn't much at all.
If towing, the hitch or tongue weight will have to be added to the payload.

So the largest Airstream has a tongue weight of 1000 lbs - leave you just 300lbs in payload.

Not much you can carry on top of that....

Even the Lightning would be pressed to max out pretty quickly if you take multiple passengers plus cargo in the bed...

My Lariat Lightning is 1900 lbs max.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If towing, the hitch or tongue weight will have to be added to the payload.

So the largest Airstream has a tongue weight of 1000 lbs - leave you just 300lbs in payload.
My airstream is a 1966 Tradewind, so about 4500 pounds and under 500 pounds tongue weight before loading stuff into it. Payload also includes passengers, right? Yeah, we will have to be careful if we end up with a Silverado. I’m guessing the big 400 mile battery probably steals from the payload capacity and a smallee battery might give you more payload capacity, but less range.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
My airstream is a 1966 Tradewind, so about 4500 pounds and under 500 pounds tongue weight before loading stuff into it. Payload also includes passengers, right? Yeah, we will have to be careful if we end up with a Silverado. I’m guessing the big 400 mile battery probably steals from the payload capacity and a smaller battery might give you more payload capacity, but less range.
Yes, exactly!

The batteries are heavy, increase GVWR and reduces overall payload.

I am looking at the standard range WT which compares to Ford's Pro trim which is the lightest overall weight and best payload range.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, exactly!

I am looking at the standard range WT which compares to Ford's Pro trim which is the lightest overall weight and best payload range.
Yeah, but I need the batteries to be able to tow more than 100 miles between charges. I may have to just buy an ICEr until the towing capacities and payload are sufficient. But the Silverado EV ads do show them towing an Airstream…

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Yeah, but I need the batteries to be able to tow more than 100 miles between charges. I may have to just buy an ICEr until the towing capacities and payload are sufficient. But the Silverado EV ads do show them towing an Airstream…
Just like Ford that showed towing a massive Airstream in their Lightning marketing but never saying how much range is impacted.

Does GM make a hybrid truck like the Ford PowerBoost hybrid ??

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Just like Ford that showed towing a massive Airstream in their Lightning marketing but never saying how much range is impacted.

Does GM make a hybrid truck like the Ford PowerBoost hybrid ??
They used to, but I think they stopped as it hardly helped.

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
Yes, exactly!

Whatever the advertised payload is, it will take into account the battery. There isn't a "no-battery" option. I'm always amazed by the weight of these trucks, around 10000 pounds. 3000 of it is battery. If you can't deal with that, you should probably not be looking at EVs right now.