First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2012 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
This is an all-new... vehicle (hesitant to call it a truck, more on that later) that more resembles the Avalanche than the Silverado. It's not body-on-frame - the lead designer said it's not body-on-frame or unibody, rather a new type of structure given the battery and shell type construction. The buttresses impede the bed a bit; the bed is differently sized than a Silverado. Silverado has no mid-gate. And the look and dimensions are completely different. It was designed from the ground up with all new concepts, goals, etc. Yes, it has a bed, yes it's similarly sized. That's where the similarities seem to end.

In no way do I mean for this to detract from the viability of this vehicle. I guess it's just a blatantly obvious ploy by GM to get people more comfortable with the vehicle by playing on an established name already. I get that, but it's also kind of frustrating. Why do you need to rely on the success of a different vehicle - are you afraid it won't be accepted and adopted by the market? This is a ground-up new product that should have it's own name, in my opinion.

As a final point - it's different from the F-150 Lightning that is at its core, an F-150 just with an electric drive train. Yes it has 4-wheel independent suspension, some things had to change to make it possible, but it's still body-on-frame, seperate bed, exact same form factor and interior as the other F-150'. The Silverado EV is a different beast entirely.

AVALANCHE 3.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, Jeep, toyota, honda
How different is the Chevy body on ultium battery pack/frame assembly than that of the Lightnings. Sounds like a difference with very little distinction to me....but I am not an engineer. Maybe Ford's frame is stronger so the Chevy body is required to add rigidity to the assembly? Just guessing.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
I read similar discussions about my Mustang Mach-E. Some people really got worked up about it.

I don’t get it. “Silverado” and “Mustang” are both trademarks. Their owners can hang the names on a shopping cart it they want.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I personally don't care about the names of any of these, but I can at least justify the frustration with the Mach-E. The same questions asked in the OP could be asked of the Mach-E. It's a strong vehicle and could probably stand on its own. Same with the Silverado. It looks like it'll be a well-performing vehicle regardless of name.

But at the end of the day, if my time in corporate America has taught me anything it's that marketing departments run most companies.

Trick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
This is why I prefer the Chevy over the Ford. When I 1st convinced myself to buy an EV i wanted it build on an EV platform. At 1st I thought Ford was but then found out it will not be until 2025 that the lighting will be built on an EV platform. I have a lighting reservation and plan to keep pushing down the line to see who comes out 1st with there truck that is built on the ev platform.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Mini Countryman
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
How different is the Chevy body on ultium battery pack/frame assembly than that of the Lightnings. Sounds like a difference with very little distinction to me....but I am not an engineer. Maybe Ford's frame is stronger so the Chevy body is required to add rigidity to the assembly? Just guessing.
Basically, Ford adapted their existing frame to be used as an EV. The Silverado/Hummer platform was designed to be an EV from the get go. It’s still a body on frame but the batteries are more tightly integrated into the structure of the platform.

Mr DJ

First Name
Mr DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jag F-Type R; Corvette Grand Sport
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I don’t understand why consumers get bent out of shape when a manufacturer creates something new or uses the name of an existing product of THEIRS—you feel me? People cried the blues when GM changed the round taillights of the Corvette, same crying over the Mach E, now the Lightning and the Silverado and a host of others. Real simple, if one doesn’t like it, don’t freakin’ buy it and keep it moving.

I currently own 6 vehicles, all AWD except the C7 Corvette and that will change when I purchase the C8 Corvette E-Ray Hybrid and the C9 EV Corvette. I love change, change is good, otherwise we’d all be driving 2021 Model Ts.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I don’t understand why consumers get bent out of shape when a manufacturer creates something new or uses the name of an existing product of THEIRS—you feel me? People cried the blues when GM changed the round taillights of the Corvette, same crying over the Mach E, now the Lightning and the Silverado and a host of others. Real simple, if one doesn’t like it, don’t freakin’ buy it and keep it moving.

I currently own 6 vehicles, all AWD except the C7 Corvette and that will change when I purchase the C8 Corvette E-Ray Hybrid and the C9 EV Corvette. I love change, change is good, otherwise we’d all be driving 2021 Model Ts.
because people love to complain. If they don't have anything to complain about or pick out something that is wrong then they are unhappy. Sad part is these are usually the same people that end up joining the crowd if the thing they complained about becomes popular.

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
I agree. The Silverado EV is not a Silverado. It is the new Avalanche EV. I don't care how much the company tries to ignore/downplay that obvious fact.

It's too bad because my wife liked the Avalanche. As I recall GM just messed up the styling by putting too much plastic cladding on it. Truck guys called it the "Tupperware Truck". Later Avalanches shed much of the cladding.

I still reserved one. My hesitation in actually buying one is not the name, it's the veracity of the battery technology. gm doesn't have a good or long track record in this area, with the complete Bolt recall and all. So in the meantime, I'll be watching closely to the performance and real specs of the Hummer EV which shares the Ultium platform, how the Silverado is priced, and any dealer shenanigans.

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I love that this was designed from the ground up as an EV. I think many of Tesla's advantages are because of this clean sheet architecture, just as many of their disadvantages stem from not having experience with "old sheet ' designs and manufacturing.

Interesting thing about the Mustang nameplate on the MME. I think it was smart in the long term. The Mustang name might mean a lot to me or you, but ask your teens or early 20's kids what it means. The answer for most.....nothing. They don't grow up aspiring to own 5.0's or M3's or Vettes like many of us did. They want to drive Tesla's and other cutting edge EV's that embrace technology and represent their socially aware perspective of the future. I think it's a great way to preserve the legacy of the nameplate and make a "Mustang" a vehicle to aspire to own for generations to come. Otherwise it just becomes a dying breed (sorry for the pun) along with it's traditional client base.

(Yes I realize there are outliers, but I'm speaking in generalities)

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 06 Ridgeline, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I for one am glad it’s “not a Silverado“. I bought a first year Avalanche, kept it 12 years, and often wish I still had it. The combination of features and the versatility is perfect for me. I couldn’t believe the reveal as it became apparent this is really an electric Avalanche and i really couldn’t ask for more.

10 months and 16k miles into Mach E ownership. While calling an electric station wagon (5” ground clearance does not a crossover make :LOL:) “Mustang” is silly adopting the styling cues has definitely been a homerun. I disagree about the nameplate though as all ages I encounter basically start the conversation with “its obviously not a real Mustang”. They should have just stuck with Mach E. That is how it is most likely referenced anyway.