First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
A few weeks ago I talked to a sales rep at a local (Provo) Chevy dealer. I was hoping to get some information. I said, "Isn't the WT [Silverado EV Work Truck for fleets] supposed to start rolling out soon?" He said, "Where did you hear that?" I told him I read it different places. I've read they will start being delivered Spring '23. He said it would be 2024. Well, it's almost Spring '23 now. Recently there was talk of the first WT rolling off the assembly line. I guess there is good reason for Chevy dealers not to recklessly raise expectations and risk disappointed customers. But there is also reality. Why is it so difficult to get any information?

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
A few weeks ago I talked to a sales rep at a local (Provo) Chevy dealer. I was hoping to get some information. I said, "Isn't the WT [Silverado EV Work Truck for fleets] supposed to start rolling out soon?" He said, "Where did you hear that?" I told him I read it different places. I've read they will start being delivered Spring '23. He said it would be 2024. Well, it's almost Spring '23 now. Recently there was talk of the first WT rolling off the assembly line. I guess there is good reason for Chevy dealers not to recklessly raise expectations and risk disappointed customers. But there is also reality. Why is it so difficult to get any information?
Because dealers are the last to get any info.

I never trust a dealer - as soon as their mouth opens......

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
I keep hearing Spring 2023 for the introduction of the Silverado EV Work Truck. It seems to be pretty consistent. Well, it's just a few days away from the official first day of Spring. I think everyone is really excited to see the first production vehicle. It amazes me that with the level of interest, there is absolutely no hint of any news yet. They always test vehicles in various locations. You'd think somebody would see something. It will probably happen quite suddenly with no warning. It could happen any day.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I keep hearing Spring 2023 for the introduction of the Silverado EV Work Truck. It seems to be pretty consistent. Well, it's just a few days away from the official first day of Spring. I think everyone is really excited to see the first production vehicle. It amazes me that with the level of interest, there is absolutely no hint of any news yet. They always test vehicles in various locations. You'd think somebody would see something. It will probably happen quite suddenly with no warning. It could happen any day.
From what I was told, the very first Silverado EV will be the fleet / commercial buyers this spring.

Then the RST buyers this summer.

And lastly the WT1, 2, 3, 4 buyers this winter....

DetroitHustle

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra
Occupation
Consultant
From what I was told, the very first Silverado EV will be the fleet / commercial buyers this spring.

Then the RST buyers this summer.

And lastly the WT1, 2, 3, 4 buyers this winter....
Who told you this? I thought fleet Spring 23, RST First Fall 23, and retail WT Spring 24. Would love it if retail WTs came this year though.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Who told you this? I thought fleet Spring 23, RST First Fall 23, and retail WT Spring 24. Would love it if retail WTs came this year though.
At the LA Auto Show, the GM marketing & engineering teams were there for special VIP invites.

They said the first rollout will be the base EV WT for the fleet/commercial customers.

I hope to get invited to order my base EV WT in fall/winter this year.

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
A while ago, it's been several months, there was a photo of the first Silverado EV that rolled off the assembly line. There has been no news since then. I'm pretty vague about how vehicles are made. Have any more of them rolled off the assembly line? Do they have to stockpile a certain number before they are officially released? Are there a bunch of them sitting in a parking lot somewhere? I realize this would be the fleet version and not available to the general public, but they have to be somewhere. Is there deliberate secrecy or does it just seem like it?

astricklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer, 2013 Toyota Prius C
A while ago, it's been several months, there was a photo of the first Silverado EV that rolled off the assembly line. There has been no news since then. I'm pretty vague about how vehicles are made. Have any more of them rolled off the assembly line? Do they have to stockpile a certain number before they are officially released? Are there a bunch of them sitting in a parking lot somewhere? I realize this would be the fleet version and not available to the general public, but they have to be somewhere. Is there deliberate secrecy or does it just seem like it?
My understanding of the process is that they do an initial pre-production run that's not for general customers that makes sure there's not any issues before going to standard production. So the question is if the 'first truck' pictured is the first for pre-production (probably) or the first for full production for customers.

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
That was a long time ago. You'd think the kinks would have been worked out. Of course, with a brand-new electric drive, there are probably lots of kinks. But with the Hummer already in production, you'd think a lot of the kinks would have been worked out already. I'm with 4sallypat. The waiting is depressing. Every day gets us closer to something happening though.

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
GM made news today by announcing that the Silverado EV will have 450 miles of range. Below is an excerpt from an article which says production should start this month. This is good news for patient forum members. If GM wants deliveries to start "later in the spring" they will have to hurry. One article says they have 340 fleet customers waiting.

"General Motors (NYSE:GM) is expected to start producing the electric Silverado pickup truck this month and deliver the first ones to customers later in the spring. Production on the RST version of the Silverado is expected to begin in the fall.

At a media event, General Motors (GM) officials stunned by revealing the Chevrolet Silverado electric truck will offer a range of 450 miles on a full charge, which is ahead of . . . "

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
There are two milestones that I am eager to hear about. The first is when the Silverado EV Work Truck for fleets starts rolling off the assembly line. That was supposed to happen in May. I haven't heard anything yet. Maybe it's because it didn't happen. The second is when the first WT's are delivered to fleet customers. That is supposed to happen "in the Spring", meaning June. Something I'm wondering about is if reviewers will be able to get their hands on fleet trucks and drive them. I've never heard of any reviews of fleet vehicles. Of course, I'm extremely interested to hear reviewers' impressions of the truck, especially what it's like to drive them. It's a whole new platform with little relationship to previous Chevy trucks, so the driving experience is a complete unknown. I'm talking about the ride and handling, not how the infotainment system works.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
That was a long time ago. You'd think the kinks would have been worked out. Of course, with a brand-new electric drive, there are probably lots of kinks. But with the Hummer already in production, you'd think a lot of the kinks would have been worked out already. I'm with 4sallypat. The waiting is depressing. Every day gets us closer to something happening though.
I think it's a parts, chips and module shortage still affecting GM as well as other manufacturers.

I just got my Mustang Mach E ordered 14 months ago.

My first one had to wait 4 months in Mexico for a chip shortage then when it shipped, it got derailed and burned in Springfield.

Ford as nice to quickly hotshot a replacement to me in 2 weeks.

So that's what I am now driving while waiting for the Silverado EV WT.
IMG_0764 2.JPG

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
Here's what my new car looks like. Eat your heart out Chevrolet. It just happened that they had one ready in Georgia. Somebodys misfortune was good for me.
Rivian.jpg

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
I posted a few weeks ago about "milestones". Silverado EVs must be rolling off the assembly line because there are a bunch of them and they all look alike. It's still Spring, too. For a few more days. So some of the milestones have been reached. I posted somewhere that it could happen suddenly and it really did. We don't know if they are actually being delivered though. The reviews were very good. The ones that got into things like ride were very impressed. One reviewer called the Silverado the beginning of a new generation of electric trucks. It will probably be at least a year before the Silverado reservations are fulfilled.