First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
You can hope all you want, but after a while reality sets in. I've watched as dates come and go and nothing happens. I recently sold a house in Salt Lake. I could buy a Silverado now and pay cash. I plan on paying cash because I'm over 70 and I don't want to be saddled with a huge car payment at my age.

I'm probably around 150,000 on the reservation list. I think if they were at full production capacity, they could churn out 150,000 in a few months. But full production capacity probably won't be reached for at least a year. It looks like it would be at least a year before I would be invited to order. Probably more like two years if you want to be realistic. Again, the lack of info from Chevrolet is discouraging.

Also I've been hearing negative things about the Silverado. The nine-inch ground clearance is a problem. They can't be towed. They weigh over 4 tons. With no actual reviews going on, it's hard to get a real picture.

I've been forced to look at alternatives. I don't like the Ford Lightning. I want my electric truck to look like an electric truck, not something that looks like it belongs down on the farm. So I paid the $1000 reservation fee for a Rivian. I found out there is a variety of models that can be ready in 1 to 8 weeks. They are all over $90,000. I suppose that is high end. It's still cheaper than a Silverado EV RST, which could easily cost even more than they are saying. It looks like I could order a Rivian and pay and have it in couple of months. If I did that I'd be committed and have to give up on the Silverado for good. I'll have to decide within the next week.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
GM hasn't missed dates on the Silverado, they were never supposed to be available until this fall or early next year depending on the trim level. That is also why you haven't seen any reviews yet, but I think I heard from a few outlets that first drives are coming soon, so you will see a little bit of information, but not full tests.

If you need a electric truck in the next 6-9 months, realistically the Lightning or Rivian are your only choices. I have had my R1T for about a year, and held my Silverado reservation at the request of my dealer, but I have no intention of going through with it, I love the Rivian. I have one of the earliest possible reservations, found a way to access the site about 2 hours before reservations actually went live. If you really wanted the Silverado I would see if it is possible to transfer it, but even then it might not bee for over a year.

SilverEDoEV

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Manufacturing
........ I have one of the earliest possible reservations, found a way to access the site about 2 hours before reservations actually went live. If you really wanted the Silverado I would see if it is possible to transfer it, but even then it might not bee for over a year.
So that's how GM is going to play with thousands of patient customers who placed their reservations on time?
Prioritize reservations and orders from "friends and vip" insiders?
I thought Ford screwed their customers when they allowed their dealers to set "priority reservations" for the first waves of orders. Now GM is going to do it too.
Shame on you GM.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
So that's how GM is going to play with thousands of patient customers who placed their reservations on time?
I thought Ford screwed their customers when they allowed their dealers to set "priority reservations" for the first waves of orders. Now GM is going to do it too.
Shame on you GM.
What part of my comment led you to this conclusion?

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
I put my order in Aug 2022 so very late. So I guess I’m 1 or 2 steps closer to getting mine, unless I change my mind.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
Shame on you GM.
I waited over a year after my Lightning reservation was placed in order to place a real order.

Having a first minute GM EV reservation, I am hoping that I get the chance to order the base EV WT.

I have no interest in an optioned or 400 mile range version.

Having had the Lightning for a year, I can say that the tech is amazing.

Lariat trim was too much for my pocketbook as a daily commuter vehicle.

Just sold her and got the Mustang Mach E in the meantime.

Really hoping for the chance to get the base 200 mile range EV WT for $42K.

OP
OP
Charjd

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
I made my reservation in August. There have been around 170,000 total reservations so I figure I'm around 150,000. I expected to wait at least a year and I was fully prepared for that. According to what I've heard, they will produce the Silverado initially at Factory Zero ("beginning in the Spring"). After Bolt production ends "at the end of this year", the Orion plant will be reconfigured to build electric trucks (exclusively?). Who knows how long that will take. They expect to eventually be able to produce 600,000 trucks per year. At that rate, it would only take a few months for my turn to come up.

However, I feel like they have been deliberately deceptive or at least evasive. Chevrolet doesn't want to lose those 170,000 sales, so they will make whatever promises it takes. There is no law against it, so of course they will do it. And no official source will ever let slip the real (even expected) timeline. That is what really bothers me. There is a difference between Rivian (for example) and Chevy. Rivian has a reputation to build. They need happy customers to survive. Chevy doesn't need happy customers; they just need patient customers. That's pretty obvious.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
Ok, it looks like the Escalade IQ reveal is set for Aug. I’m probably cancelling my Silverado EV reservation too as I want a Subyukonade EV

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
However, I feel like they have been deliberately deceptive or at least evasive. Chevrolet doesn't want to lose those 170,000 sales, so they will make whatever promises it takes. There is no law against it, so of course they will do it. And no official source will ever let slip the real (even expected) timeline. That is what really bothers me. There is a difference between Rivian (for example) and Chevy. Rivian has a reputation to build. They need happy customers to survive. Chevy doesn't need happy customers; they just need patient customers. That's pretty obvious.
Agree about how quiet GM has been with the Silverado EV ordering...

With how Ford had so many issues when the '22 was released, many missing chips & modules, it would not surprise me if GM took their time releasing theirs.

Based on 15,000 Lightnings released for MY'22 - I would be surprised if GM can crank out the same.

With interest rates skyrocketing, I would not be surprised if the conversion rate (reservation to order) falls to under 50%.

SilverEDoEV

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Manufacturing
What part of my comment led you to this conclusion?
"...... held my Silverado reservation at the request of my dealer......"
"..... I have one of the earliest possible reservations, found a way to access the site about 2 hours before reservations actually went live........"

Doesn't matter to me anymore. I had a first hour Lightning reservation and didn't get invited until switching to another dealer in a BEV friendly state last Oct. By then prices went up 12k for 23' m.y. , but then in January I bought a Lightning Pro demo at original sticker price(under $50k) and I am enjoying it now. I don't have to wait another year for a new truck or pay 25% more than originally promised.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
You can hope all you want, but after a while reality sets in. I've watched as dates come and go and nothing happens. I recently sold a house in Salt Lake. I could buy a Silverado now and pay cash. I plan on paying cash because I'm over 70 and I don't want to be saddled with a huge car payment at my age.

I'm probably around 150,000 on the reservation list. I think if they were at full production capacity, they could churn out 150,000 in a few months. But full production capacity probably won't be reached for at least a year. It looks like it would be at least a year before I would be invited to order. Probably more like two years if you want to be realistic. Again, the lack of info from Chevrolet is discouraging.

Also I've been hearing negative things about the Silverado. The nine-inch ground clearance is a problem. They can't be towed. They weigh over 4 tons. With no actual reviews going on, it's hard to get a real picture.

I've been forced to look at alternatives. I don't like the Ford Lightning. I want my electric truck to look like an electric truck, not something that looks like it belongs down on the farm. So I paid the $1000 reservation fee for a Rivian. I found out there is a variety of models that can be ready in 1 to 8 weeks. They are all over $90,000. I suppose that is high end. It's still cheaper than a Silverado EV RST, which could easily cost even more than they are saying. It looks like I could order a Rivian and pay and have it in couple of months. If I did that I'd be committed and have to give up on the Silverado for good. I'll have to decide within the next week.
Looking like I am going to cancel both the Silverado and Denali EV reservations since pricing will be way out of my reach!

Mark Maness

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hummer EV, 2005 Avalanche
Occupation
Park Ranger
I guess you all should have reserved a Hummer mine is sitting in my Garage.