Not getting my deposit refunded

Erik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Silverado EV
I canceled my reservation more than a month ago and I got an email from GM saying the the dealer will refund the money. The dealer says that they are not going to refund the money. Has anyone else had the same issue?

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
I canceled my reservation more than a month ago and I got an email from GM saying the the dealer will refund the money. The dealer says that they are not going to refund the money. Has anyone else had the same issue?
That just seems so wrong

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
When I paid the deposit, it wasn't clear where the money was going. If it went to the dealer, then the dealer should refund it. Is the dealer saying that the money didn't go to them? This would be a problem if people start cancelling their reservations. I plan on keeping my reservation for now.

OP
OP

Erik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After I cancelled my reservation, GM send an email saying:

“Your dealer has been notified of your reservation cancellation request for a Silverado EV. Please note per your Reservation Agreement, it may take several business days for your dealer to process your refund request.

Reservation ID: xxx018

Stewart Chevrolet
780 SERRAMONTE BLVD
COLMA, CA 94014

(650) 994-2400
https://www.stewartcars.com”

The dealer says that they don’t refund deposits and that I should contact GM. The refer me to the website that I used to cancel my reservation. When I go there now, it says that i don’t have a reservation, which makes sense since I cancelled it.

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 gmc sierra, Chevy bolt 2020 EV, 2023 EUV
Occupation
technician
The dealer got the money and they have to refund it.
I switched dealers and the original dealer was just not aware of the rules/responsibility regarding refunding the reservation.
I think you should contact the dealer, one last time, by email.
Tell them that according to the regulations, the dealer should refund you the money.
Give them one week, and that if they haven't refunded by that time, you will be forced to contact GM directly and that might have consequences for their dealership if they are forced to refund you.
The last part is bluff, but I did it like that and within days I had a check in the mail.
If the reservation is longer than a year old, they can not deposit it back on your CC and they will have to issue you a check instead, which needs multiple signatures etc.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP

Erik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I already filed a complaint with the better business bureau. They flat out say that they won’t refund it. My next move may be to email Mary Barra directly or to take them to the small claims court.

I really don’t like Elon Musk, but because of dealers like this one, my next car will probably be a Tesla.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I already filed a complaint with the better business bureau. They flat out say that they won’t refund it. My next move may be to email Mary Barra directly or to take them to the small claims court.

I really don’t like Elon Musk, but because of dealers like this one, my next car will probably be a Tesla.
Did you see the RAM revolution policy? It isn’t a deposit, but a fee to have the privilege to be in line for a future vehicle, so no refund possibility at all.

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
technician

You are talking about a rogue dealer.
Have your tried the general help desk of GM ?

btw:
darkside.png

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
You are talking about a rogue dealer.
Have your tried the general help desk of GM ?

btw:
darkside.png
I wonder how many people are trading in their Teslas for the onslaught of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Porsche EVs purely because of Elon’s antics. Yet, there are some who will never buy German cars from the holocaust, or an Audi because of VW’s Dieselgate.

Back to the Silverado EV, I may be cancelling my reservation after todays Escalade IQ announcement

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
technician
I asked for refund for my BlazerEV reservation.
Until I get a chance to order a Silverado, I will keep my Silverado EV reservation.
If the prices/conditions are changed too much from initial announcement, I will cancel then.

OP
OP

Erik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I asked for refund for my BlazerEV reservation.
Until I get a chance to order a Silverado, I will keep my Silverado EV reservation.
If the prices/conditions are changed too much from initial announcement, I will cancel then.
Did they refund your deposit for your Blazer EV reservation?

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
technician
Did they refund your deposit for your Blazer EV reservation?
of course not!

email:
Wed, Aug 2, 9:42 AM (8 days ago)
we have received your Blazer EV cancellation request
your dealer has been notified of your reservation cancellation request for the First-Ever All-Electric Blazer EV. Per your Reservation Agreement, please allow up to 7 business days from receipt of your reservation cancellation request for your refund to be processed.

Technically 7 business days haven't passed yet.
Knowing the dealer in question in a different angle (they are a customer of my services) they will postpone as long as they can. It's all about cash flow and they had my money for a long time.

I do know the manager and when in a few days they haven't responded at all, I will first contact the manager and give them 2 business days to respond. (not going to happen) and then I will for sure contact GM and share my experience and wait for them to put force on the dealer.

btw: found another chevy dealer 40 miles from me, where I recently bought my Bolt EUV.
No up sales, plain MSRP, great communication.
Yes, further away than the closest dealer that I reserved the BlazerEV with, but I rather drive 45 minutes for a dealer that communicates better.

It really depends on the dealer ship how your experience is.
I think it is very important for GM to know the customers experience/feedback.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Erik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. Please let me know once you get the refund.

I also had a Ford Lightning reservation. When I canceled that, I got my refund almost immediately. Ford probably handles the refunds centrally.

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
technician
Just like with GM, the dealer got the money, not the manufacturer.
Since my dealer no longer existed and my reservation had moved to a different dealer, I had to go up to threatening a small claim court case to get my money back. After 8 weeks I finally received a check.

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
technician
*update*
After getting absolutely nowhere with the dealership (no reply what soever on emails & voicemails) about returning the reservation money of my BLazerEV, I contacted the GM EV concierge. They talked to the dealership and the stealership suggested I should stop by physically at the store with the CreditCard so they could refund that.
When I explained that doesn't work after 1 year (has it been that long already ?!) the lady of the EV concierge agreed and she forced the dealership to send me a check by mail.

This is really how dealerships work nowadays.
In my case GM really helped straighten things out with regards to the dealership.
Of course I will leave my comments on several websites about the dealership.
GM was very helpful, responsive and used their influence to resolve the issue
GM++ , dealership--

Last edited: