Midgate

truck_EV_fan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
fusion hybrid
Really wish they mage the mid gate one piece with a powered window. If you are getting the luxury EV don't you want it automatic? Removing the window seems like a pain but tough to tell and then where do you store it when you are already on the road and realize you need to remove it?

AVALANCHE 3.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, Jeep, toyota, honda
Like most folks, I have no inside info on the mid gate. I imagine it will function similarly to the Avalanche, where seat have to be folded, so it would be a complex operation to automate. Many people may want the glass to remain in place when the bottom half of the mid gate is down. As for glass storage, I anticipate (but obviously don't know) that the glass will store similar to the way the Avalanche worked.

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
In one of the videos I saw, they said there was a compartment somewhere to store it. I don't have a problem with the way it works. I think this is the solution that takes up the least amount of space (and weight) and maximizes the dimensions of the opening. On the other hand, a big piece of thick glass like that is probably pretty heavy. I imagine it is something a woman wouldn't want to try on her own. Of course, there are women who will want the truck and to enjoy all of it's functionality equally with men. I just don't think it's something I will want very often. Do you really want the whole rear open with wind and fumes and noise coming in?

AVALANCHE 3.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, Jeep, toyota, honda
In one of the videos I saw, they said there was a compartment somewhere to store it. I don't have a problem with the way it works. I think this is the solution that takes up the least amount of space (and weight) and maximizes the dimensions of the opening. On the other hand, a big piece of thick glass like that is probably pretty heavy. I imagine it is something a woman wouldn't want to try on her own. Of course, there are women who will want the truck and to enjoy all of it's functionality equally with men. I just don't think it's something I will want very often. Do you really want the whole rear open with wind and fumes and noise coming in?
Based on my experience with the Avalanche, the weight of the glass was not an issue. I enjoyed having the glass out, all windows down, sun roof open in the Avalanche and driving the back roads or heading down to the beach. Of course, the wind noise was horrible, but no worse that driving in a jeep with the doors off or top down.

Charjd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Rivian
Occupation
Retired
The midgate would be very useful for camping. Suppose some company designed and built a bed-tent for the bed (which they probably would). If it fit with the tailgate down, you could have a back door with a step, which is already built into the tailgate, for getting down to the ground. With the midgate open, you could have a continuous space from the dashboard to the tailgate. The seats would provide some very nice seating accommodations (what if the back seats swiveled?) Plus you would have electric service for a variety of appliances. You could camp without needing the usual camper / tent / trailer. You could really travel light, which appeals to me a lot.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
The midgate would be very useful for camping. Suppose some company designed and built a bed-tent for the bed (which they probably would). If it fit with the tailgate down, you could have a back door with a step, which is already built into the tailgate, for getting down to the ground. With the midgate open, you could have a continuous space from the dashboard to the tailgate. The seats would provide some very nice seating accommodations (what if the back seats swiveled?) Plus you would have electric service for a variety of appliances. You could camp without needing the usual camper / tent / trailer. You could really travel light, which appeals to me a lot.
GM and a few others made tents like this for the Avalanche. I would expect one to be available for the Silverado.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, Pacifica
Occupation
IT
I had an Avalanche and loved the midgate. The glass was easier to do with 2 people. To do it by myself I had to climb into the back seat and sit on my knees. I did worry about the fumes when I had it out but that should not be a problem in an EV. I did not tend to have it out for city or highway driving. It was more of a convertible type thing. With the sunroof and the back open it was very much a convertible experience. It was better on the highway than my BMW convertible because it was not as windy and loud.
As for camping, the Avalanche came standard with a tonneau cover. Drop the midgate, and no tent was even needed.
The odd thing about the Avalanche was that there was no good place to store the tonneau cover panels. There was a bag but the things were clumsy when removed with fragile rubber corners. If the rubber corners got damaged it would leak water when rained on.

timothyedwards

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Chevy Avalanche, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
IT
I had an Avalanche and loved the midgate. The glass was easier to do with 2 people. To do it by myself I had to climb into the back seat and sit on my knees. I did worry about the fumes when I had it out but that should not be a problem in an EV. I did not tend to have it out for city or highway driving. It was more of a convertible type thing. With the sunroof and the back open it was very much a convertible experience. It was better on the highway than my BMW convertible because it was not as windy and loud.
As for camping, the Avalanche came standard with a tonneau cover. Drop the midgate, and no tent was even needed.
The odd thing about the Avalanche was that there was no good place to store the tonneau cover panels. There was a bag but the things were clumsy when removed with fragile rubber corners. If the rubber corners got damaged it would leak water when rained on.
I agree and had similar experiences with my Avalanche. I ended up removing it less as time went on and only removed it when I was hauling something that required it.

I totally agree with the motorized comment! I always felt that motorizing the window would have sparked current owners to upgrade and might have extended the life cycle. Or add it as standard equipment for the Cadillac EXT because you know those buyers are not hauling anything :p. After bringing such a revolutionary design and functionality to the GM stable they really added nothing to it over 12 years except changes they made to their trucks.

If I had a choice between split midgate and manual window vs solid midgate and power window....it's a power window.