Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy
Occupation
Admin
Following Ford's recent letter to its dealerships warning against F-150 Lightning ADM (additional dealer markup), General Motors has just sent a similar letter to its dealerships that the company has become aware that: "some dealerships have attempted to demand money above and beyond the reservation amounts set in GM's program rules and/or have requested customers to pay sums far in excess of MSRP in order to purchase or lease a vehicle" with respect to 2024 Silverado EV reservations (among other vehicles).

GM warns its dealerships that the company "reserves its right to redirect your vehicle allocation or take other recourse prescribed by the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement" if it discovers that the dealership is, among other things, "providing customers misinformation about additional sums being necessary for a customer to keep a reservation..."

See the full email letter below.

Chevy Silverado EV Dealer Memo.jpg

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Finally. Wonder if there is a way we can report dealers that said they will be adding market adjustments and other bullshit additions to msrp?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Volt
Occupation
Engineering
Finally. Wonder if there is a way we can report dealers that said they will be adding market adjustments and other bullshit additions to msrp?
ADM's aren't actually a violation of the agreement. Requiring additional deposits definitely is.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
believe it or not I've had luck with Twitter when it comes to customer satisfaction issues, you never know.

Fredrick

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma
ADM's aren't actually a violation of the agreement. Requiring additional deposits definitely is.
Excessive ADM ("sums far in excess of MSRP") could be deemed a violation since the agreement also includes behavior they determine to be unethical or damaging to GM's reputation.

nconantj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Trax, Chevy Silverado EV (reserved)
GM can declare them so.

If GM decides an ADM is excessive, GM can declare it unethical. This would be a violation of the first clause excerpted in the letter.

Excessive ADM's are detrimental to the reputation of at least the Dealer. They can also be detrimental to the reputation of GM or GM products if GM doesn't take action. They are therefore a violation the second excerpt that was quoted in the letter.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
GM can declare them so.

If GM decides an ADM is excessive, GM can declare it unethical. This would be a violation of the first clause excerpted in the letter.

Excessive ADM's are detrimental to the reputation of at least the Dealer. They can also be detrimental to the reputation of GM or GM products if GM doesn't take action. They are therefore a violation the second excerpt that was quoted in the letter.
Sure..but this does need to be balanced against GM appearing to violate federal price-fixing laws. by trying to control dealer prices

nconantj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Trax, Chevy Silverado EV (reserved)
Sure..but this does need to be balanced against GM appearing to violate federal price-fixing laws. by trying to control dealer prices
They do. But if they base it on a reasonable definition of "excessive," the feds would likely look the other way.

A flat $10k would almost certainly be considered excessive. If someone is looking at a $40k WT, $10k is a 25% markup.

A dealer that chooses a relatively low markup as a percentage of MSRP, and made it clear before you placed the order, might skirt through. A 5% markup would translate to $2k on that $40k WT. Annoying, but more fairly priced.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
There's a reason why GM wasn't super specific with what is a violation, but left it worded in a way that leaves it open to interpretation by GM. Abusive ADMs can be viewed negatively by GM.

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
That's a good start! There's no way I'll pay a mark-up. I'd would walk away from the Silverado and gm first.

I think someone at gm realizes that their major competitor in the EV space is Tesla, and gm is not going to be able to compete with Tesla's direct and streamlined sales process with a ridiculous, greedy dealer mark-up.

Last edited:

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
after this email came out I messaged the dealer that I originally had my reservation with if they were still going to charge over msrp. When I first placed my reservation they said they will be. They have yet to email me back with an answer :ROFLMAO:

Bcweir

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I respectfully disagree. ADMs are a violation of both the letter and the spirit of the dealer manufacturer agreement. There's already a reasonable profit margin built into the MSRP, not to mention profit opportunities in options, accessories, financing, etc. that there is zero excuse to gouge consumers at all with ADMs. The second I see that ADM sticker on the vehicle, I leave the premises. There's no excuse to pay that kind of robbery, and I refuse to enable or support the practice by paying it. I don't HAVE to do business with that dealership, no matter how close or convenient it is to where I live.

Mr DJ

First Name
Mr DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jag F-Type R; Corvette Grand Sport
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I think someone at gm realizes that their major competitor in the EV space is Tesla, and gm is not going to be able to compete with Tesla's direct and streamlined sales process with a ridiculous, greedy dealer mark-up.
I got news for you, Tesla does the same crap; just less than a month, they raised one of their models up $10K just like that...they are no different...

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
I got news for you, Tesla does the same crap; just less than a month, they raised one of their models up $10K just like that...they are no different...
They also decrease prices, presumably to manage demand. The point is Tesla doesn't have rogue, greedy dealers ruining their reputation. Tesla can't keep up with demand either so they must be doing something right. gm won't even utter their name when they talk about their competition.

I have stories spanning decades of scamming and lying from dealerships: GM, Dodge, etc. I literally get anxiety whenever I have to take one of my cars to the dealer. They try to scam me... every... single.. time.

They are a liability IMO to doing business in the present and future. That's partially why I'm a skeptic with the Silverado EV. I like it, and I reserved one, but GM/gm needs to overcome a lot of negative experiences for me to purchase one.

Last edited: