FirstTimeTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado EV
I saw 2024 Silverado EV SRT first time in person, parked a few feets away from 2022 F150 lightning Platinum at the North Texas Auto Show.

Originally posted at sister-site F150gen14.com.

20220320_130743.jpg
20220320_130817.jpg
20220320_130901.jpg
how 2022, this weekend. Both are equally handsome. When I saw GMs version at unvailing, I was not a big fan of its looks, but in person it looks really good. Although I prefer lightning's conventional exerior a little more, many people would definitely weight on the bow-tie's side! Check out my pictures and comment on which one do you prefer and why!

Note: Alternate photos are of either vehicle to compare from the same angle.

20220320_130926.jpg

20220320_131020.jpg

20220320_131409.jpg

20220320_131452.jpg

20220320_131530.jpg

20220320_131551.jpg

20220320_131609.jpg

20220320_131639.jpg

20220320_131654.jpg

20220320_131715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wattsup

First Name
Watts
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Penalty Box
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like
  • the Chevy frunk is a foot or so narrower at the mouth than the Ford? Narrower inside as well? Like, it just looks like there's a massive amount of wasted space there due to the headlights, and I'm still liable to brain myself on the middle part. Can you make any kind of guess at the dimensions of the Chevy frunk?
  • The Ford crew doors open at a wider angle (closer to 90 degrees) than the Chevy, making it easier for larger passengers to get in/out (or to load bulky cabin-only cargo).
  • Can't see if either vehicle has metallic (electrically-bonded) hooks/points on the bed sides of either vehicle for an antenna mount.
  • On a related note, I imagine those... fins? from the roof to the sides of the bed are going to make it a bear to find tool boxes or a cap.
C'mon Chevy, you allegedly got the charge speed and range right, don't choke on the form factor!

EValanche

First Name
ADAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
WFH
GM seems to have the full house of features (rear wheel steering, mid-gate, air suspension, onboard power) and hopefully the charging curve and range to be able to tow. The only thing is … 2024 … that's a minute.

wattsup

First Name
Watts
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Penalty Box
Yeah, me too ... question is which one??
If you're asking Ford vs Chevy, I think it'd depend on what Ford's offering when Chevy starts delivering vehicles. If Ford gets to 350kw charge speeds and 400mi EPA range I'd definietly look again. If not, it's between Chevy and waiting; 300mi of fully-loaded winter highway range and touring-capable DCFC speeds are mandatory for me in this vehicle class. Chevy has a lot of nice-to-have features (midgate!) , at the cost of some inexplicable-to-layperson-me decisions like the Avalanche 'wings' from roof to bed, which absent structural value seem to serve only to make it harder to buy a bed cap, or a toolbox, or the smaller, narrower frunk (see my whinging upthread). I'm hoping to see V2L for home battery backup, charging other EVs in a pinch, and potentially even V2G someday, reduce summer brownouts.

If you're asking 'which trims/options', I think we're still waiting on the pricing guide? So still TBD. I can say I won't be paying for any 'self-driving' option, from any dealer, until/unless the manufacturer assumes full liability for everything the car does while driving itself.

Dammit Chevy, I was a Bolt owner, I drank the Kool-Aid, I drove a subcompact, I want to *believe*. Help me give you my money!

OP
OP

FirstTimeTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado EV
If you're asking Ford vs Chevy, I think it'd depend on what Ford's offering when Chevy starts delivering vehicles. If Ford gets to 350kw charge speeds and 400mi EPA range I'd definietly look again. If not, it's between Chevy and waiting; 300mi of fully-loaded winter highway range and touring-capable DCFC speeds are mandatory for me in this vehicle class. Chevy has a lot of nice-to-have features (midgate!) , at the cost of some inexplicable-to-layperson-me decisions like the Avalanche 'wings' from roof to bed, which absent structural value seem to serve only to make it harder to buy a bed cap, or a toolbox, or the smaller, narrower frunk (see my whinging upthread). I'm hoping to see V2L for home battery backup, charging other EVs in a pinch, and potentially even V2G someday, reduce summer brownouts.

If you're asking 'which trims/options', I think we're still waiting on the pricing guide? So still TBD. I can say I won't be paying for any 'self-driving' option, from any dealer, until/unless the manufacturer assumes full liability for everything the car does while driving itself.

Dammit Chevy, I was a Bolt owner, I drank the Kool-Aid, I drove a subcompact, I want to *believe*. Help me give you my money!
Yepp, my question was ford v/s chevy. How was your experience with bolt? Were seats comfortable enough for long drives?

wattsup

First Name
Watts
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Penalty Box
Yepp, my question was ford v/s chevy. How was your experience with bolt? Were seats comfortable enough for long drives?
Seats were fine for me (6', 260#). Long drives... 4 hours, no problem. 240 mi range + <50kw DCFC does not a touring car make though, so mostly short trips. Excepting the range/charge issues, the recall, and the cheapo interior, I *loved* that car. It was small, nimble, quiet, peppy, maintenance-free, gas-free, always started, never hesitated, had room for groceries in the 'trunk' and the subcompact size/turn radius plus the multicam 'overhead' parking view was absolute voodoo for city parking. Biggest non-recall problems I had with it were mice loved nesting under the hood (warm, no moving parts) and you never had a reason to go to a gas station or pop the hood so I'd always run out of wiper fluid. :ROFLMAO:

Solid commuter car for 2 adults and maybe kids. If there was an Ultium version I'd have kept it. I would not attempt to put 4 full-size Marines in the Bolt unless they were really friendly, but... it's a subcompact. It seats 2 with room for their luggage.

When SO's Subie conks out, I'm pushing to become a 2 EV household. A Bolt or Bolt-adjacent vehicle may become the zippy city/commuter car of the pair, alongside the pickup/utilimobile/war-wagon.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

Ford probably won't have an Lightning with those capabilities until 2026 at the earliest. I would assume you will be able to get the Silverado before then. Of course the next gen Lightning could/probably will have even faster charging and more range than the Silverado. Things are going to change very rapidly.

wattsup

First Name
Watts
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Penalty Box
Ford probably won't have an Lightning with those capabilities until 2026 at the earliest. I would assume you will be able to get the Silverado before then. Of course the next gen Lightning could/probably will have even faster charging and more range than the Silverado. Things are going to change very rapidly.
Yes, at this point in the power curve next year will always* be better. But perfect is the enemy of the good and as long as it's good *enough* for 15+ years and 175,000 miles, it is a fine start.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, at this point in the power curve next year will always* be better. But perfect is the enemy of the good and as long as it's good *enough* for 15+ years and 175,000 miles, it is a fine start.
I agree. I know the next generation of trucks will be better, they always are, and that will be especially true as we move to electric. I just don't want to wait beyond 2024, and truthfully I don't want to wait that long. I usually buy the vehicle I am looking for within a couple months of deciding I want it, so this wait is a sign of maturity for me. I plan to keep my truck 8-10 years, but maybe I "upgrade" in 4-5 instead. There were times in my life where keeping the same vehicle for 3 years was a long time, I'm not going to be that bad again haha.

I considered 400 miles the minimum, but in reality the difference from 300 to 400 miles with most of my trips is negligible. Towing is the big hit, but even a towing range of 150 to 200 miles (if you assume 50% reduction in range) doesn't make much of a difference. For my longer towing trips it will be less convenient, but I will adapt. Even the current charging networks will work for me, and that will only improve as they expand (of course there will also be more EVs using them, so maybe that is a wash).

Long story short, don't keep waiting for the next best thing or you will never get to enjoy what you can have now. If it is, as you say good enough, and you are in a place you can afford it, do it.

OP
OP

FirstTimeTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado EV
Seats were fine for me (6', 260#). Long drives... 4 hours, no problem. 240 mi range + <50kw DCFC does not a touring car make though, so mostly short trips. Excepting the range/charge issues, the recall, and the cheapo interior, I *loved* that car. It was small, nimble, quiet, peppy, maintenance-free, gas-free, always started, never hesitated, had room for groceries in the 'trunk' and the subcompact size/turn radius plus the multicam 'overhead' parking view was absolute voodoo for city parking. Biggest non-recall problems I had with it were mice loved nesting under the hood (warm, no moving parts) and you never had a reason to go to a gas station or pop the hood so I'd always run out of wiper fluid. :ROFLMAO:

Solid commuter car for 2 adults and maybe kids. If there was an Ultium version I'd have kept it. I would not attempt to put 4 full-size Marines in the Bolt unless they were really friendly, but... it's a subcompact. It seats 2 with room for their luggage.

When SO's Subie conks out, I'm pushing to become a 2 EV household. A Bolt or Bolt-adjacent vehicle may become the zippy city/commuter car of the pair, alongside the pickup/utilimobile/war-wagon.
Thats a great idea ?. Glad to hear abt your bolt experience!