First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Given today’s price increase and content changes, who dropped their reservation? I am holding mine a few days to see if they come to their senses (doubt it), but I’m out if they keep the new prices. My configuration went from $82600 to $97200!!!

Glad I made that Silverado reservation “just in case”.

Reactions: Max

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Mini Countryman
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Yea, I have a "just in case" reservation as well.
I haven't cancelled my Rivian reservation yet. I would like to get a test drive in first. However I certainly won't be buying one.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
I haven’t canceled yet but I probably will. As close as the Rivian price is now to the SEV, it’s tough to justify 316 vs 400 mi range, 400v vs 800v charging and Driver+ vs Supercruise.
I’m not sure I can afford either but the Rivian has become a tough sell.

on edit: R1S cancelled

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Frontier, olds Aurora V8, Regal, Sky
Sold all my Rivian shares but I may hold on to the reservation another week before I cancel. I definitely like Silverado a lot more but I have a feeling, I will be disappointed with GMs Specs/Price as I was with Rivian and Lightning. They all look at the competition and nothing accessible is cheep right now. If Cybertruck by some miracle produces something close to their originally advertized price, GM may become more reasonable with their pricing but I am not holding my breath for that. EV trucks with good specs and good price is a dream at the time. If I can get 300 mile RST with a mid-gate and 10.2 KW power under $70K, I am in. I don't care if it comes without the seats and I have to bring my fordable chair.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/po...-customers-are-cancelling-their-reservations/

Edit: I just cancelled my Rivian reservation too.

Edit: Reinstated.

Last edited:

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I cancelled after they pulled this bait and switch. I don't think it's worth the price they are asking now. After this crap they pulled there is no way I could trust them. As more competition comes to market this is going to hurt them. They are trying to run before they walk and they are facing competition from stable and experienced companies.

Hemlocke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Durango Citadel, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Occupation
Lodge owner, volunteer firefighter
I'm holding on to our reservation, knowing full well that there's almost no chance of me buying an R1T anymore.
I don't trust the company. If they treat reservation holders like this now, how will they treat customers with broken or defective trucks further down the road?
Nope.
We'll hang on and go through the routine with our guide next year though (hopefully), do the test drive and talk about options and financing. Get him/her feeling really good about things.
And then I'll tell him/her that inflation called. I want my damn money back. ?

Maybe our Silverado will be ready by then. It would be so cool to drive away from that guide, waving from our new electric RST.
So long as GM doesn't suddenly jack the price up another $25,000.00 before then.:unsure:

OP
OP
camaroz1985

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m holding for a week or so just to be sure it’s not a knee jerk reaction but I can’t see them walking this back (even with what seems like 30-50% cancellations based on the forums) and even if they did I wouldn’t trust them. Still love the truck, just not the company.

astricklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer, 2013 Toyota Prius C
Didn't have a reservation and certainly won't now. When I first saw the announcement of the dual motor version I was hopeful they'd introduced something in the $50k range but quickly found out they had priced the dual motor at the same as the quad and then raised the quad. People who have already received/ordered trucks look to have gotten an absolute bargain.

OP
OP
camaroz1985

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
They walked back the change and any preorder before March 1st is at the original price. I’m happy but skeptical at this point. Still keeping both my Rivian and Silverado reservation, I have lost trust in Rivian. What is it like after they have your money? What kind of support are you going to get?

It’s a good move to get not screw over the early backers but doesn’t give a lot of faith for the future customers. I guess worst case scenario is if I get the truck and want to sell it, I have $15k equity from day one compared to someone ordering one now.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Well, well, well. What a change today has made. A total 180 on the price increase for existing reservations. I feel a lot better today but I'm also very cautious about it.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
They will find a way to make up the money without their customers knowing. Probably subscription services to use certain features

OP
OP
camaroz1985

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
They will find a way to make up the money without their customers knowing. Probably subscription services to use certain features
That's what I think too. They already said in their S-1 documents they were figuring on $10-15k per vehicle in that. I know there are some things that have been shown that I have no need for and wouldn't pay for (specifically thinking of the tank turn feature, or even the drift mode, or rally mode). They really need to have better communication and disclose what Rivian Membership is, what it will get you and how much it will cost. The same with their charging network. Where will they be, and how much will it cost? I know they have a vague map now, but that's not good enough for route planning. These are some of the steps they need to get customer trust back. It was mentioned a lot in RJ's email, so I assume it is important to them (or at least they want us to think it is). Time to start showing and stop telling.

astricklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer, 2013 Toyota Prius C
I don't have a Rivian reservation but the R1S is the Bev that I really want. However over 70k is out of my budget completely. GM needs to announce a Tahoe/suburban BEV and make it start at $40k as well.

OP
OP
camaroz1985

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I don't have a Rivian reservation but the R1S is the Bev that I really want. However over 70k is out of my budget completely. GM needs to announce a Tahoe/suburban BEV and make it start at $40k as well.
I don't see that happening. ICE Tahoe starts at $52k, Suburban starts at $54k (for 2WD, add $3k for 4WD). For reference Silverado WT 4WD starts at $43k.

I could see maybe $50-55k to start for a Tahoe, but it's not going to be $40k, especially with the Equinox reportedly starting at $35k.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
GM could increase prices on the Tahoe/Suburban by $10K and they would still sell out. Gas prices are new record levels and GM can't build them fast enough. There is 0 chance a BEV version will go for less than $70K IMO.