When do NACS equipped vehicles start arriving?

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
I have a Silverado RST reservation in, but didn't put in my reservation until August 2023, so I'm pretty far down the list. After watching some Cadillac Lyriq reviews on YouTube, it seems like the 2024 model with AWD still has the J1772 with CSS connector and one reviewer mentioned that the 2025 model will have NACS. As much as I loath Elon for what he did to Twitter and his inability to stop having children with multiple women, I think waiting for the NACS equipped GM vehicles might be a good idea to make it easier to drive across the country. Alas, it might also mean the death of Chargepoint, Electrify America, EVGO, etc.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Silverado RST reservation in, but didn't put in my reservation until August 2023, so I'm pretty far down the list. After watching some Cadillac Lyriq reviews on YouTube, it seems like the 2024 model with AWD still has the J1772 with CSS connector and one reviewer mentioned that the 2025 model will have NACS. As much as I loath Elon for what he did to Twitter and his inability to stop having children with multiple women, I think waiting for the NACS equipped GM vehicles might be a good idea to make it easier to drive across the country. Alas, it might also mean the death of Chargepoint, Electrify America, EVGO, etc.
All we know is that they will start shipping some models with native NACS in 2025. Not sure which models will be first or when they all might switch. Either way it really isn't a big deal, in the short term you will need an adapter one way or the other to utilize the full charging network available to you.

Just to be clear this isn't the death of any chargepoint operator (EVgo, Chargepoint, EA, etc.), they will all be transitioning to NACS as well, but they won't fully get rid of CCS either. We likely will see chargers with one NACS and one CCS plug on them like they currently do with the CCS/Chademo units. If anything it might help keep prices in check in locations where there is competition.

OP
OP

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
All we know is that they will start shipping some models with native NACS in 2025. Not sure which models will be first or when they all might switch. Either way it really isn't a big deal, in the short term you will need an adapter one way or the other to utilize the full charging network available to you.

Just to be clear this isn't the death of any chargepoint operator (EVgo, Chargepoint, EA, etc.), they will all be transitioning to NACS as well, but they won't fully get rid of CCS either. We likely will see chargers with one NACS and one CCS plug on them like they currently do with the CCS/Chademo units. If anything it might help keep prices in check in locations where there is competition.
True, though I’ve seen plenty of issues with charging station operators having flaky relays to release the charging cord, networking issues to scan your phones/bar codes, etc. I mostly charge at home and have a Volt at the moment so range anxiety isn’t an issue, but if I get a Silverado EV, Lyriq, or Escalade IQ, adding the supercharger network will really help alleviate range anxiety, though I’d probably prefer to use anyone but Tesla chargers given Elon’s,social media antics.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
True, though I’ve seen plenty of issues with charging station operators having flaky relays to release the charging cord, networking issues to scan your phones/bar codes, etc. I mostly charge at home and have a Volt at the moment so range anxiety isn’t an issue, but if I get a Silverado EV, Lyriq, or Escalade IQ, adding the supercharger network will really help alleviate range anxiety, though I’d probably prefer to use anyone but Tesla chargers given Elon’s,social media antics.
There is not a release on the charger side for the cable lock. Both CCS and NACS use a solenoid in the vehicle inlet to lock the cable when charging. The only improvement from CCS to NACS is that CCS also has a finger actuated latch on the charging cable, which if broken can prevent charging. I have seen people mention this, but I have never encountered one myself, though I only use fast charging about 1-2 times per month when taking longer trips. I think the fears of charging station issues are a little overblown, but can be valid if you have less options. Having the Supercharger access is a huge advantage, and should go a long way to at least have the option to use them even if you prefer not to.

The point I was trying to make was you don't need to wait for native NACS to take advantage of that, and in the case of a vehicle with NACS, you may need to use a NACS -> CCS adapter to use other networks until they offer both cables, especially if you consider Tesla to be a last resort.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
Tesla is allowing access to their SC network next month with some Ford EV drivers w/ CCS1.

We will get to test out the Tesla SC network, but we are not sure if the stations will have a Magic Dock (NACS-CCS1) adapter like a few stations have.

Or we might have to buy an adapter and bring it along.

I am NOT in a hurry for NACS equipped vehicles to add onto the already crowded SC stations where I am at.

When I charge at EVGo, next to it are 20+ Tesla SC and always full with Tesla drivers waiting for their turn.

I personally would not like to fight Tesla drivers with my non Tesla and cause more issues.

I like my charging without waiting or fighting over chargers....

IMG_0841.JPG

OP
OP

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Tesla is allowing access to their SC network next month with some Ford EV drivers w/ CCS1.

We will get to test out the Tesla SC network, but we are not sure if the stations will have a Magic Dock (NACS-CCS1) adapter like a few stations have.

Or we might have to buy an adapter and bring it along.

I am NOT in a hurry for NACS equipped vehicles to add onto the already crowded SC stations where I am at.

When I charge at EVGo, next to it are 20+ Tesla SC and always full with Tesla drivers waiting for their turn.

I personally would not like to fight Tesla drivers with my non Tesla and cause more issues.

I like my charging without waiting or fighting over chargers....

IMG_0841.JPG
Then it sounds like jumping in on a 2024 model with CCS and CarPlay might be better than waiting for the 2025 NACS and no-CarPlay model. I could do this with a Lyriq as there seem to be plenty of them sitting at dealerships, but no Silverado EVs yet.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Then it sounds like jumping in on a 2024 model with CCS and CarPlay might be better than waiting for the 2025 NACS and no-CarPlay model. I could do this with a Lyriq as there seem to be plenty of them sitting at dealerships, but no Silverado EVs yet.
Wife asked about the Lyriq as she is shopping around for an EV.
I told her that GM has some major issues with their EVs so we skipped on it.

But getting a CCS EV instead of NACS makes it easy to choose between the lower price DCFC prices than the higher priced Superchargers that will be charged to non Teslas....

OP
OP

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Wife asked about the Lyriq as she is shopping around for an EV.
I told her that GM has some major issues with their EVs so we skipped on it.

But getting a CCS EV instead of NACS makes it easy to choose between the lower price DCFC prices than the higher priced Superchargers that will be charged to non Teslas....
Yeah, I am a bit worried about Ultium after hearing of Blazer EV issues. I hope this doesn’t cause GM to go out of business since they initially announced 30 EVs coming. Alas I also worry about Dodge as they’ve gone all EV and their 2024 lineup is pretty much non-existent unless you want a Hornet

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Ford just announced that all their CCS EV owners will be receiving a FREE NACS-CCS adapter!

This adapter will be used for Tesla SC opening up this month.

This is amazing customer satisfaction service from Ford!

https://electrek.co/2024/01/31/ford-provide-free-adapters-access-tesla-supercharger-network/
Wonder if GM will do the same.

Rivian has also committed to providing free adapters, though in typical Rivian fashion, they have no timing, and even when they do announce the timing, it will be missed by several months.

Importantly the adapter Ford is releasing looks to be exactly what Tesla uses for Magic Dock. (I would not be surprised if most or all adapters are not made by Tesla) The only change is the addition of an extra release to free the Supercharger cable from the adapter. That part looks odd, but I would have to assume it will some how be disabled when the adapter is locked to the vehicle to prevent the cable from being taken apart while it is live. On the Magic Dock this latching is controlled internally by the Supercharger dispenser.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Also ordered a 3rd party adapter from Lectron.

Hoping it arrives this month rather than this summer from Ford's complimentary adapter....

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 6.34.32 AM.png

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Also ordered a 3rd party adapter from Lectron.

Hoping it arrives this month rather than this summer from Ford's complimentary adapter....

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 6.34.32 AM.png
This is a bad idea. You are getting the free adapter, just wait for the supported one to arrive. While the chances are rare that there would be an issue, if there ever is, you may have liability issues using an unsupported adapter (ie Tesla goes after you for damages to a Supercharger, and your insurance may deny the coverage based on you ignoring Tesla's guidance, much like they may if you are towing over the GCWR of a vehicle). To each their own, but to me it isn't worth getting it a couple months earlier.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
This is a bad idea. You are getting the free adapter, just wait for the supported one to arrive. While the chances are rare that there would be an issue, if there ever is, you may have liability issues using an unsupported adapter (ie Tesla goes after you for damages to a Supercharger, and your insurance may deny the coverage based on you ignoring Tesla's guidance, much like they may if you are towing over the GCWR of a vehicle). To each their own, but to me it isn't worth getting it a couple months earlier.
There are already reports of some who have received their adapters and have started charging their Ford EVs on the Tesla SC system.

The adapter does nothing except transfer power (DC and signal) between CCS and NACS - it has no intelligence.

Not worried it will catch fire as both the manufacturer of the adapter has liability insurance as well as my insurance I pay so much for (full coverage).

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Here she is - A2Z NACS - CCS1 adapter for use at Tesla SuperChargers:
A2Z_NACS.png