First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2012 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
At first I didn't like the look. I think I talked to my friends about it and used terms such as "bloated Avalanche," and "land whale." It's still not my favorite; my preference is for regular looking trucks, not some try-hard with flashy looks just to be "different."

For a long time I've been wondering why we keep such big hood lengths on EV's. There's no longer any engine up there. Yeah the frunk is nice for sure, but if we move the cab forward, it would solve the age-old truck problem of a bed that's too short if you want a crew cab, or an uncomfortably cramped passenger area if you want a long bed, or alternatively, have both making for a super long wheel base and poor turning radius and maneuverability, not to mention parking anywhere close to a city. Solution: move the cab forwards, keep the passenger space, and make the bed longer! It seems this is exactly what Chevy has done. It looks a bit odd at first, but I've been thinking about this for a while and it really makes sense. So, the look still looks off to me, but I think it was a wise choice for space allocation.

Also, that mid-gate really has me interested. With a tonneau cover, this thing would make a fabulous lumber hauler, which would help fuel my other expensive hobby - woodworking. Plywood sheets, hardwood boards in the 10-11ft range. It just seems stupendous for that. I don't have my whole family with me for those trips, so it's totally fine losing the back seat, but then the ability to just close it up and put the kids in the back for a camping trip sounds so great. I really love the flexibility this seems to offer, and it's keeping me interested despite looking a little weird.

I bet seeing different colors would help the aesthetics. Looking forward to more info/photos as time moves on.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
You also didn't touch on an arguably important improvement of shortening/removing massive hoods: Safety for pedestrians/bikers in front of you.

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 MachE
If it was available now, Iā€™d have to say itā€™s the ugliest truck on the market without a doubt, uglier than the new Tundra. That said, Iā€™d take purpose over beauty- I just wish we could have both.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Mini Countryman
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
If it was available now, Iā€™d have to say itā€™s the ugliest truck on the market without a doubt, uglier than the new Tundra. That said, Iā€™d take purpose over beauty- I just we could have both.
It certainly is a polarizing design. I recall the same arguments, back in the 90s, when Dodge redesigned the RAM truck to look more like a Semi. But it ended up selling exceptionally well.

I can see the arguments against this design, but itā€˜s not Aztek ugly where no one will like it. Chevy wonā€™t be able to build them fast enough for years. (which is a problem).

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
At first I didn't like the look. I think I talked to my friends about it and used terms such as "bloated Avalanche," and "land whale." It's still not my favorite; my preference is for regular looking trucks, not some try-hard with flashy looks just to be "different."

For a long time I've been wondering why we keep such big hood lengths on EV's. There's no longer any engine up there. Yeah the frunk is nice for sure, but if we move the cab forward, it would solve the age-old truck problem of a bed that's too short if you want a crew cab, or an uncomfortably cramped passenger area if you want a long bed, or alternatively, have both making for a super long wheel base and poor turning radius and maneuverability, not to mention parking anywhere close to a city. Solution: move the cab forwards, keep the passenger space, and make the bed longer! It seems this is exactly what Chevy has done. It looks a bit odd at first, but I've been thinking about this for a while and it really makes sense. So, the look still looks off to me, but I think it was a wise choice for space allocation.

Also, that mid-gate really has me interested. With a tonneau cover, this thing would make a fabulous lumber hauler, which would help fuel my other expensive hobby - woodworking. Plywood sheets, hardwood boards in the 10-11ft range. It just seems stupendous for that. I don't have my whole family with me for those trips, so it's totally fine losing the back seat, but then the ability to just close it up and put the kids in the back for a camping trip sounds so great. I really love the flexibility this seems to offer, and it's keeping me interested despite looking a little weird.

I bet seeing different colors would help the aesthetics. Looking forward to more info/photos as time moves on.
I had an envoy XUV and kept it for almost 18 years because it make the best lumber hauler. The fold down midgate is one of this trucks best features. Throw a nice cover on it and it can haul drywall or plywood in the rain

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I like it, but then again I usually like vehicles that don't look like every other vehicle on the road.