Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy
Occupation
Admin
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-plans-phase-apple-carplay-140319747.html

GM plans to phase out Apple CarPlay in EVs, with Google's help

March 31, 2023

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors plans to phase out widely-used Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technologies that allow drivers to bypass a vehicle's infotainment systems, shifting instead to built-in infotainment systems developed with Google for future electric vehicles.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto systems allow users to mirror their smartphone screens in a vehicle's dashboard display.

GM's decision to stop offering those systems in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer, could help the automaker capture more data on how consumers drive and charge EVs.

GM is designing the on-board navigation and infotainment systems for future EVs in partnership with Alphabet Inc's Google.

The decision to phase out CarPlay smartphone projection technology is a setback for Apple Inc in the competition with Google to capture more real estate on vehicle dashboards in North America. GM's Chevrolet brand in the past boasted of offering more models with CarPlay or Android Auto than any other brand.

GM has been working with Google since 2019 to develop the software foundations for infotainment systems that will be more tightly integrated with other vehicle systems such as GM's Super Cruise driver assistant. The automaker is accelerating a strategy for its EVs to be platforms for digital subscription services.

By 2035, GM's goal is to phase out production of new combustion light-duty vehicles.

GM would benefit from focusing engineers and investment on one approach to more tightly connecting in-vehicle infotainment and navigation with features such as assisted driving, Edward Kummer, GM's chief digital officer, and Mike Himche, executive director of digital cockpit experience, said in an interview.

"We have a lot of new driver assistance features coming that are more tightly coupled with navigation," Himche told Reuters. "We don’t want to design these features in a way that are dependent on person having a cellphone."

Buyers of GM EVs with the new systems will get access to Google Maps and Google Assistant, a voice command system, at no extra cost for eight years, GM said. GM said the future infotainment systems will offer applications such as Spotify's music service, Audible and other services that many drivers now access via smartphones.

"We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us," Kummer said. GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is aiming for $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by 2030.

GM plans to continue offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto mirroring systems in its combustion models. Owners of vehicles equipped with the mirroring technologies will still be able to use the systems, GM said.

Drivers also will still be able to listen to music or make phone calls on iPhones or Android smartphones using Bluetooth wireless connectivity, GM said.

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
This is a bad move. I understand the want/need to integrate navigation software with the truck's operating system for purposes of battery conditioning. Also, it would be a marketing nightmare if people are running their trucks dead because they are using CarPlay to navigate instead of the truck's trip planning. I just don't think they should take the option away from people.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
After really enjoying CarPlay on a newly purchased Buick TourX, I don't think I can go back to just using regular bluetooth and looking at my small phone screen. This is a really bad move. Bad enough that I might be forced to abandon my GM purchases since 1998 and go with a competitor that supports CarPlay. Rivian recently announced 393 miles of range with an upcoming Max battery for the R1S. And with RAM announcing 500 miles of EV range, it's getting harder and harder to be a loyal GM EV owner.

wattsup

First Name
Watts
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Penalty Box
This is a terrible idea. GM, Chevy, if you're listening: when I sold back my Bolt as a lemon, I bought the cheapest interim tide-me-over-mobile I could find to get me to work until the Silverado EV came out. It had to have three things: CarPlay, a backup camera, and working air conditioning. I even gave up automatic transmission for a manual whose mushy clutch I so loathe that I have dubbed it the Penalty Box.

But I would STILL rather re-learn to drive mushy-clutch stick, and spend another 4 years in the Penalty Box, than buy an EV truck with a) Google spyware baked in or b) somebody ELSE's spyware baked in. The EV truck I end up buying will let me keep my data, contacts, apps, etc on my device. I sincerely hope it still turns out to be the Silverado EV.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This is a terrible idea. GM, Chevy, if you're listening: when I sold back my Bolt as a lemon, I bought the cheapest interim tide-me-over-mobile I could find to get me to work until the Silverado EV came out. It had to have three things: CarPlay, a backup camera, and working air conditioning. I even gave up automatic transmission for a manual whose mushy clutch I so loathe that I have dubbed it the Penalty Box.

But I would STILL rather re-learn to drive mushy-clutch stick, and spend another 4 years in the Penalty Box, than buy an EV truck with a) Google spyware baked in or b) somebody ELSE's spyware baked in. The EV truck I end up buying will let me keep my data, contacts, apps, etc on my device. I sincerely hope it still turns out to be the Silverado EV.
What is your Penalty Box vehicle? I plan on buying my daughter a new car for her senior year in college, and she wants a manual tranny. We're struggling to find anything nice other than a Subaru Crosstrek or a Jeep Wrangler.

I'm seriously considering a Rivian or a RAM based on GM's actions. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Just like their desire to make Onstar a profit center rather than giving it away for free then implementing something that generated ad revenue (restaurants, stores, and gas stations could pay to get better placement in local searches)

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
What is your Penalty Box vehicle? I plan on buying my daughter a new car for her senior year in college, and she wants a manual tranny. We're struggling to find anything nice other than a Subaru Crosstrek or a Jeep Wrangler.

I'm seriously considering a Rivian or a RAM based on GM's actions. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Just like their desire to make Onstar a profit center rather than giving it away for free then implementing something that generated ad revenue (restaurants, stores, and gas stations could pay to get better placement in local searches)
Rivian doesn't have CarPlay, and they don't appear to have any plans to add it, so if that is holding you back from the Silverado, probably should strike the Rivian off your list too.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Rivian doesn't have CarPlay, and they don't appear to have any plans to add it, so if that is holding you back from the Silverado, probably should strike the Rivian off your list too.
I guess that leaves me with RAM then. So Rivian only supports Android Auto?

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I guess that leaves me with RAM then. So Rivian only supports Android Auto?
No Android Auto or CarPlay. They think they can do a better job curating the experience and software themselves.

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
No Android Auto or CarPlay. They think they can do a better job curating the experience and software themselves.
I guess GM is trying to do the same. Though they had a chance with OnStar, except they were trying to charge customers for the experience rather than create such a wonderful experience that everyone would want it. Rather than force people to use their future platform by eliminating AA and CP, they should give people a choice and do such a good job with their infotainment integration and people want to go to their platform rather than be forced into it. Win by merit not by monopoly.