400 mile range vs batteries

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Yeah, remember when Ford first came out an touted 300+ mile range ?
Well that turned out to be if you wanted to cough up extra $$$.

GM is doing the same - touting 400 mile range but only if you pay for it - like the Hummer EV that gets almost 400 miles with a 200kWh battery and $100K+ price tag.

GM Ultium battery packs range from 50, 100, and 200kWh...

Most likely the base WT EV for $40K will have a 100kWh battery with about 200 mile range - similar to the Ford's SR base truck.
If the $40k WT trim comes with 200 miles of range I'm out. That's lower than the F-150 and the F-150 isn't exactly stellar. I think 250 miles would be my minimum for consideration, but I'd really like to see them shoot for 300ish since the upgrade is 400.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
If the $40k WT trim comes with 200 miles of range I'm out. That's lower than the F-150 and the F-150 isn't exactly stellar. I think 250 miles would be my minimum for consideration, but I'd really like to see them shoot for 300ish since the upgrade is 400.
Looking at the various price points for the WT, I'd say you should have the option for more range.
What you should NOT expect is a 400 mile range WT for $40K; it may cost you over $50K to get the 400 mile range...

Since my current PHEV has taught me alot about EV miles and how to extend it, I don't suffer "range anxiety" like most first time EV buyers.

230 miles in my Ford Lariat will be fine - more than adequate as my daily drive is less than 25 miles and will end up charging once a week...

astricklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer, 2013 Toyota Prius C
If the $40k version gets 300 miles and the upgrade to 400 miles is only $10k then Ford is going to have to revise their pricing. The 300 mile Ford starts at over $70k currently.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Unfortunately I buy trucks because I need a truck. I haul and tow frequently.

Recently, a popular truck channel on YouTube has been towing with the F-150 and the "extended range" battery. In one test, they got 80ish miles (!) on a charge. That's just totally impractical for anyone, unless you never leave the city ever.

I realize Ford and GM are different companies, but they have been working together on things more lately than in the past. I think we'll likely see similar performance from GM's EV pickup, and the more I'm seeing of Ford's offering in the real world the less I like the idea.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Unfortunately I buy trucks because I need a truck. I haul and tow frequently.

Recently, a popular truck channel on YouTube has been towing with the F-150 and the "extended range" battery. In one test, they got 80ish miles (!) on a charge. That's just totally impractical for anyone, unless you never leave the city ever.

I realize Ford and GM are different companies, but they have been working together on things more lately than in the past. I think we'll likely see similar performance from GM's EV pickup, and the more I'm seeing of Ford's offering in the real world the less I like the idea.
That's just physics. Power per mile to tow is huge, what does your current truck get. Mine gets like 7 MPG with the boat.

Porsche Tycan has a similar charge rate to Silverado as planned. In cross country 'races' the Tycan has the lowest range but the fastest recharge and beats other cars up. If you can get a 20 minute recharge the lower range might be manageable for those that dont tow long distances every week.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Don't matter if it's Ford or Chevy, neither of these new trucks was built for towing across country. Keep your ice for that.

If GM follows Ford price/range batteries (no surprise if they did) 200 miles is suitable for 83% of all people world wide.

I get folx "range anxiety", I even thought about it but then I took a map out and drew a 100 mile circle around my home and it covers 99.9% of all my driving.

So I always tell people to do the same and then that range anxiety will melt away.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I want as much range as possible then I don't have to charge as often. Besides, I would rather have the extra range and not really need it then have a lower range car and wish I had more range.