First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Honda Accord
Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys, I think there’s at least like five of us here, I didn’t watch the entire presentation. I just know that I need a new vehicle it needs to be a truck and I want it to be electric.

anyways, are they saying all of the vehicles have a 400 mile range? Just a different combination of batteries and motors? Because if I can get some thing in the low to mid 50s reasonably equipped with 400 miles of range it makes me considerably more excited about this option.

Txm

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 F150, 21 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Paramedic
Hey guys, I think there’s at least like five of us here, I didn’t watch the entire presentation. I just know that I need a new vehicle it needs to be a truck and I want it to be electric.

anyways, are they saying all of the vehicles have a 400 mile range? Just a different combination of batteries and motors? Because if I can get some thing in the low to mid 50s reasonably equipped with 400 miles of range it makes me considerably more excited about this option.
That’s the impression that I was under, 400 mile range across the board. Time will tell though, this is zero day.

SunDevil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 350, Honda Odyssey
The Edmunds head to head review video implies that there will be a lesser range on the Silverado for lower trim levels. They guess it will be 300 miles.

The video is linked on this forum, but here it is again:

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2012 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I highly doubt they'll all have 400mi range - that's a huge battery for a $40k vehicle. My guess is they will have 2 tiers. It's a dual-layer battery. I suspect they'll just eliminate one layer of cells and it'll be half the range. 200mi base and 400mi premium.

Obviously this is just a guess. Will be interesting to see.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Think they spoke up smaller range ones too. Hopefully those are released first

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
There's a quote floating around from someone at GM stating that Ultium won't be under 300 miles for any of its vehicles, so I doubt it'll be 200.

Zach05855

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace EV, Nissan Titan XD Diesel, BJ-42
Half the batteries should give you more than half the range. The reduction in weight with half the batteries is significant.

Brisket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon (RIP)
They definitely said there would be a lower range WT version, but they did not give any specifics beyond that. This is obviously pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lower end was 300 miles.

It's still a significant step down being 25% less than the larger battery, It's a sufficient number for casual road trips, especially with DC fast charging, and GM would be able to market their standard range truck as meeting or exceeding the extended range Lightning.

Edited for a typo

Last edited:

Stephen8810

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel (sold)
I thought that Mary Barra said that both the RST and the WT trims would include the GM estimated 400 mile range. Which seems to be confirmed in the linked article GM Authority article 1/6/2022

“Under the body panels, the all-electric Silverado is based on a dedicated Ultium BEV platform that incorporates a 24-module Ultium battery pack into the vehicle structure. Topped off with electrons, the battery pack will provide upwards of 400 miles of driving range for both the RST First Edition and WT trim levels.”

My concern is that they may be just talking about a fleet version of the WT and not a retail version….similar to what was done with the Lightning EV Pro level. Hopefully not, but I guess only time will tell.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
It's annoying when they talk up the fleet version to the public. I don't give 2 shits about that and when publicly announcing a new truck they should be focusing on the model we can buy.

Stephen8810

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel (sold)
It's annoying when they talk up the fleet version to the public. I don't give 2 shits about that and when publicly announcing a new truck they should be focusing on the model we can buy.
Ageed… And even worse when they hype all the really great features of the top of the line model that may not even be available as options on the lower level models

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Toyota Prius Prime
Around $55k for 400 miles range is not possible. It requires a 170+ kWh battery pack.

1970Cuda

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Pickup
Occupation
Retired
24" tires on a truck with a 400-mile range is a bit hard to believe. It looks cool but clearly not an efficient usage of battery power. Most EVs have low rolling resistant tires/rubber. Maybe GM will make find a manufacture of 24" tires that are LRRT. That price is high but looking at the prices of today's full-size trucks that are loaded up with options they are knocking on the door of $100k. In 2 years when the RST hits the market, that $105k might be a bit more realistic given the way prices are increasing due to supply chain issues, chip shortages, and inflation.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Mary Barra clearly said there will be multiple options for range, including a "base model" at the $39,990 price point. This implies that the 400-mile range will be optional on WT.

"We will launch a Work Truck model in spring of 2023, offering an expected GM estimated range of at least 400 miles on a full charge. Additional lower range Work Truck models will follow, giving customers a variety of choices with different ranges and price points to meet their needs, including a base model and a very competitive starting MSRP of USD 39,900 plus dealer freight."

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F150 Lightning SR Lariat + '23 MME
Occupation
Tech
Mary Barra clearly said there will be multiple options for range, including a "base model" at the $39,990 price point. This implies that the 400-mile range will be optional on WT.

"We will launch a Work Truck model in spring of 2023, offering an expected GM estimated range of at least 400 miles on a full charge. Additional lower range Work Truck models will follow, giving customers a variety of choices with different ranges and price points to meet their needs, including a base model and a very competitive starting MSRP of USD 39,900 plus dealer freight."
Yeah, remember when Ford first came out an touted 300+ mile range ?
Well that turned out to be if you wanted to cough up extra $$$.

GM is doing the same - touting 400 mile range but only if you pay for it - like the Hummer EV that gets almost 400 miles with a 200kWh battery and $100K+ price tag.

GM Ultium battery packs range from 50, 100, and 200kWh...

Most likely the base WT EV for $40K will have a 100kWh battery with about 200 mile range - similar to the Ford's SR base truck.