Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy
Occupation
Admin

The 2024 Chevy Silverado EV is Chevrolet's inaugural entry into the rapidly growing list of electric trucks, a segment that includes such heavy hitters as the Ford F-150 Lightning, the Rivian R1T and the GMC Hummer EV. In this video, Alistair Weaver from Edmunds brings you a first look at the upcoming Chevy Silverado EV and details the top 10 differences between it and the F-150 Lightning. Will the new Chevy Silverado EV have the goods to compete against Ford's all-electric pickup? We'll have to wait to get behind the wheel of both, but early indications are promising. This is the Top 10 Differences: 2024 Chevy Silverado EV vs. Ford F-150 Lightning.

Power
Silverado EV RST - 664 hp & 780 lb-ft
F-150 Lightning Platinum - 563 hp & 775 lb-ft

Silverado EV WT - 510 hp & 615 lb-ft
F-150 Lightning - 426 hp & 775 lb-ft

Onboard Power
Silverado EV - 10.2 kW / 10 outlets
F-150 Lightning - 9.6 kW / 10 outlets

Range
Silverado EV - ??? miles / 400 miles (standard range / extended range)
F-150 Lightning - 230 miles / 300 miles (standard range / extended range)

Towing
Silverado EV - 8000 pounds (base model)
F-150 Lightning - 7700 pounds (base model)

Payload
Silverado EV - 1300 pounds
F-150 Lightning - 1800 pounds

Suspension
Silverado EV - Independent suspension & rear coil springs standard. First Edition gets optional air suspension and rear steering
F-150 Lightning - Independent suspension but no air suspension or rear steering

Bed
Silverado EV - 5 foot 11 inch long bed standard. Available Multi-flex midgate allows bed to extend into cabin
F-150 Lightning - 5 foot 5 inch long bed standard

Frunk
Silverado EV - "Roughly the same size as Ford's"
F-150 Lightning - 14.1 cubic feet

Self-Driving
Silverado EV - Super Cruise
F-150 Lightning - Blue Cruise

Price
Silverado EV - $39,900 MSRP Starting Price (not including destination)
F-150 Lightning - $39,974 MSRP Starting Price (not including destination)

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson
Personally, I had it 6-3 instead of 5-2. GM takes the self-driving point for their tech that works on more roads, and Ford takes the front-trunk point for having theirs worked out vs "We'll definitely have one."

Brisket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon (RIP)
Obviously this is a question of personal preference, but I prefer the look of the Lightning. I am not a fan the sail pillars, here or on the Cybertruck for a couple reasons.

First, I like the relative sleeper aspect of the lightning, it looks like a truck. Second this means all accessory makers are going to have to redesign their products, the fact that the lighting has the same dimensions as the ice version (at least the bed) is a huge advantage since one product can go into both markets. There's no need to redesign things and since the market is so much larger there will be better variety and lower prices in general.

It's certainly possible that most future trucks will look like this since there are stiffness and aerodynamic advantages from the pillar style, but IMO this is a disadvantage for the Silverado right now. Everything else looks great, I'm still torn on which I'd prefer given everything else about the vehicles.

how2now

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Dodge Journey
Occupation
Telecom tech
I still favor the Blue Oval. since the truck is based on a gas 150, there are a ton of mods/add ons that wont be expensive or hard to get. the chevys suspension worries me. air adjustment and all wheel steering means more crap to go wrong. the good news is competition is very fierce in the EV truck market. This, in turn, will give us, the consumer, a better vehicle at a better price.

Let the games BEGIN

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
just because the lightening is based on the ICE version does not mean parts are interchangeable or that there will be a ton of mods for the EV. Companies will still have to redesign stuff for the EV trucks. The popularity of these vehicles though should open up the aftermarket though.

Brisket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
just because the lightening is based on the ICE version does not mean parts are interchangeable or that there will be a ton of mods for the EV. Companies will still have to redesign stuff for the EV trucks. The popularity of these vehicles though should open up the aftermarket though.
Ford deliberately designed the lightning to allow the reuse or interchangeability of bed or toprail mounted accessories like lumber racks, campers, bed liners, etc. Since Chevy changed their bed design (for legitimate reasons), that isn't possible with the Silverado.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43209/your-ford-f-150-accessories-will-fit-on-the-lightning

Of course some things will have to be redesigned, but Ford made a choice to appeal to traditional truck buyers and accessory manufacturers. I absolutely agree that the market will grow, but the Silverado EV will be a brand new vehicle with an unusual bed shape and the Lightning will have access to parts from the most popular vehicle in America. The initial selection and pricing of bed-mounted accessories will be very different.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Ford deliberately designed the lightning to allow the reuse or interchangeability of bed or toprail mounted accessories like lumber racks, campers, bed liners, etc. Since Chevy changed their bed design (for legitimate reasons), that isn't possible with the Silverado.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43209/your-ford-f-150-accessories-will-fit-on-the-lightning

Of course some things will have to be redesigned, but Ford made a choice to appeal to traditional truck buyers and accessory manufacturers. I absolutely agree that the market will grow, but the Silverado EV will be a brand new vehicle with an unusual bed shape and the Lightning will have access to parts from the most popular vehicle in America. The initial selection and pricing of bed-mounted accessories will be very different.
Smart that they did that, but too bad they didn't do some kind of redesign because I think the lightening just looks so basic. Guess that is what they were going for when trying to convert hardcore f150 ICE owners to EV.

Mr DJ

First Name
Mr DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jag F-Type R; Corvette Grand Sport
Occupation
Retired Air Force
the chevys suspension worries me. air adjustment and all wheel steering means more crap to go wrong.
Howie…surely you’re not against “change” or “advancement” – correct? I hear similar words of yours used all the time so don't take this personal: That’s just one more thing to break, go wrong, etc.

I'm glad Engineers believed in change:

Drum brakes to disc – that’s just one more thing to go wrong
Solid roof to sunroof – that’s just one more thing to break
Sunroof to panoramic roof -
Crank windows to power -
Key Ignition to push button -
Push button ignition to key fob remote start -
Key fob remote start to cell phone start -
Fresh hot air to AC -
Single AC to dual climate controls -
A 4-cylinder engine to 6 –
A 6-cylinder engine with twin turbos -
ICE cars to hybrids -
Hybrid cars to EVs -
Shocks to coil over spring -
Air shocks to magnetic ride -
Rear wheel drive to front wheel drive -
Front wheel drive to 4-wheel drive -
Manual steering to power -
Power steering to 4-wheel steering -
Solid rear axle to independent suspension -

If they were afraid of "change" breaking, we'd all be driving 2021 Model Ts.

Just saying…

Reactions: PCL

Brisket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart that they did that, but too bad they didn't do some kind of redesign because I think the lightening just looks so basic. Guess that is what they were going for when trying to convert hardcore f150 ICE owners to EV.
I prefer the Ford look myself, but that's probably because I'm an old man yelling at clouds. I agree with you on who Ford was trying to attract; Ford and Chevy seem to be going after two different buyers and that's a good thing. The more variety and choices the more electric vehicles become mainstream and the faster infrastructure will be built out.

I'd be happy with either really, I like the specs on the Chevy and I'll get used to the look. I'm a little concerned about the lower payload limit, but realistically I'd only run into that a couple times a year.

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson

As I understand it, it's this same basic interoperable design that's allowing them to ramp production faster than they expected. They'll fab a lot of the parts like they would for the ICE truck and then ship it off for the finishing touches that make it the Lightning instead. The approach has its benefits!

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 Powerstroke, Tesla Model 3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
One thing about the Lightning hauling vs Silverado EV is the bed scales. The whole tow technology package for the Lightning looks really good, and I was really looking forward to the onboard scale feature (if I could have ordered one). There was no mention if GM will have that on the Silverado, don’t know whether it’s on the Hummer or not.

Theseus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse, Equinox, Suburban
As I understand it, it's this same basic interoperable design that's allowing them to ramp production faster than they expected. They'll fab a lot of the parts like they would for the ICE truck and then ship it off for the finishing touches that make it the Lightning instead. The approach has its benefits!
Ford and GM basically took opposite approaches to the problem.

Ford took the benefits of scale of the body, interior, etc and created an EV system to work with those current systems.

GM took the benefits on scale of a new EV system and created a body, interior, etc to work with that system.

SunDevil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 350, Honda Odyssey
Ford and GM basically took opposite approaches to the problem.

Ford took the benefits of scale of the body, interior, etc and created an EV system to work with those current systems.

GM took the benefits on scale of a new EV system and created a body, interior, etc to work with that system.
I agree and simply add that I believe that Ford used the current F150 architecture to the extent possible for the Lightning for two reasons. First, it allows traditional F150 owners to feel comfortable with something familiar as they transition to an EV. Second, it allowed first mover advantage. The Lightning is as popular as it is primarily because it will be out about 18 months before the cheaper RST version of the Silverado EV. Otherwise, the Silverado EV has the Lightning beat on most of the specs.

This said, Ford has already announced the second generation of the Lightning coming out in 2025 will be an EV built from the ground up as an EV. This is the approach Chevy took with the Silverado EV.

how2now

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Dodge Journey
Occupation
Telecom tech
Howie…surely you’re not against “change” or “advancement” – correct? I hear similar words of yours used all the time so don't take this personal: That’s just one more thing to break, go wrong, etc.

I'm glad Engineers believed in change:

Drum brakes to disc – that’s just one more thing to go wrong
Solid roof to sunroof – that’s just one more thing to break
Sunroof to panoramic roof -
Crank windows to power -
Key Ignition to push button -
Push button ignition to key fob remote start -
Key fob remote start to cell phone start -
Fresh hot air to AC -
Single AC to dual climate controls -
A 4-cylinder engine to 6 –
A 6-cylinder engine with twin turbos -
ICE cars to hybrids -
Hybrid cars to EVs -
Shocks to coil over spring -
Air shocks to magnetic ride -
Rear wheel drive to front wheel drive -
Front wheel drive to 4-wheel drive -
Manual steering to power -
Power steering to 4-wheel steering -
Solid rear axle to independent suspension -

If they were afraid of "change" breaking, we'd all be driving 2021 Model Ts.

Just saying…
LOL you put way way WAY too much thought into my comments. ya must of spent hours on the internet looking all this stuff up.....
Again.... "I" me, uno, etc... am concerned about that technology.
and you know what they say about personalized license plates....
Just saying...

Last edited:

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Toyota Prius Prime
Why the payload is so low? Close to a miniVan.