Ultium battery tech: cooling?

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
I understand that BEVs need temperature management to keep the batteries within a somewhat narrow temperature range. I've scoured the internet to learn how Ultium approaches this, and I can't find anything (general or specific).
I found a reference to temperature monitoring here.

Can anyone help by posting information on this topic?

camaroz1985

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, VW ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I think they generally use a cold plate between the cell module stacks. Not positive on this particular battery though.

OP
OP

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
I saw this posted today:
https://insideevs.com/news/581884/general-motors-ultium-energy-recovery-system-revealed/
This heat pump is an option and seems to be more of a heat recovery/storage system than a true battery temperature management system.
I'm still waiting for gm to release details on the latter, which is IMO a critical system in an EV, rather than an optional nice to have feature.

I suspect that there is none currently, but I'm patiently waiting and I hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to see a Bolt fire redeux.

OP
OP

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
Hello, it's been a while. Any new information here? I scanned the internet just now, including GM and Ultium websites (even the battery geek details page) and I didn't see any information on Ultium temperature management.

Battery geek.jpg

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
not really, they haven't posted much.

Keep in mind not sure what your definition of 'narrow' is but lithium batteries generally are good between 40-80 all the time. So the thermal management system will work to keep it there unless you have the WTF mode like on the Hummer or WOW mode I think they're calling it at Chevy. Then it'll warm the pack to an 'ideal' temperature where the kWh output is at its peak rate.

I'm honestly surprised how radio silent things are on it. There's hardly any info on Ultium out there, the last burst was April 2022 when they heat pump news came out, but since then it's been crickets.

OP
OP

Chevy_maybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
not really, they haven't posted much.

Keep in mind not sure what your definition of 'narrow' is but lithium batteries generally are good between 40-80 all the time. So the thermal management system will work to keep it there unless you have the WTF mode like on the Hummer or WOW mode I think they're calling it at Chevy. Then it'll warm the pack to an 'ideal' temperature where the kWh output is at its peak rate.

I'm honestly surprised how radio silent things are on it. There's hardly any info on Ultium out there, the last burst was April 2022 when they heat pump news came out, but since then it's been crickets.
Thanks for the reply. Agreed, after the Bolt fires, I would think GM would be overt about how the Ultium battery platform solves the problem and takes thing up a notch. Let's face it, GM, after ignoring the BEV vehicle market, is now chasing Tesla.

GM/gm, I'm still waiting for details on how you are competing with Telsa's lead.