20,000 lb tow capacity!

ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 3500HD, Honda CR-V, Corvette Z06
I really hope when this WT version comes out with the Max Tow package, it can have a fifth wheel hitch installed. I also hope they have a larger battery for range. I want at least 250 miles towing.

If that happens along with 4WS, I have found my Sierra 3500HD diesel replacement!

astricklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer, 2013 Toyota Prius C
I really hope when this WT version comes out with the Max Tow package, it can have a fifth wheel hitch installed. I also hope they have a larger battery for range. I want at least 250 miles towing.

If that happens along with 4WS, I have found my Sierra 3500HD diesel replacement!
If the unladen range is 400 miles, I would expect about half of that, maybe even less if you are towing a 5th wheel camper. The amount of aerodynamic drag is massive on something like that.
Then also consider that if you are driving a long distance, you will charge to 100% at home before pyi leave, but each subsequent DCFC session, you will want to only charge to about 80-85%. Then you will probably stop to charge around 10% remaining.
So on a long trip I would plan to have 70% usable capacity and then 50% of that range. This gives you about 140 miles to work with. Let's say 120 miles to give some additional buffer. Luckily in the USA,along the interstate highway system, there are currently chargers about every 100 miles on most routes and the number of chargers keeps growing.

Just trying to think about it realistically because I don't think you'll get anywhere near 250 miles of towing range when towing a 5th wheel.
However, I feel like you should probably be stopping every couple hours anyway to take a break and with the 800v battery, you should be able to get enough charge in 15-20 minutes to be able to make it to the next charging stop, if not a bit longer.

From many of the road trip reviews I have seen with electric cars, it seems to actually be faster overall if you are able to stop to charge more often because of how batteries charge. From 10% to 50% will take less time than from 50% up to 80%

LLninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 TourX, '13 Volt, '04 CTS, '95 Suburban
Occupation
Retired
I plan to tow a 4500 pound Airstream (probably closer to $5k pounds loaded with camping gear and clothes. I hope to achieve about 200 miles of range but we will see. An Airstream is aluminum and more aerodynamic than most boxy trailers, but we’ll see.. I don’t need 20k pounds towing capacity.

I’ve been using the PlugShare to analyze the current state of affairs with level 3 charging stations, and most of the US is covered, though there seems to be a big chasm in the Dakotas, and Montana/Wyoming. It might require a multi day stay with slow charging in a couple spots unless more Level 3 charging stations are installed by the time my RST arrives.