SEV vs anything Ford.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
It’s been over a year since I ordered my Mach-E. Seven months since I took delivery. Through it all I’ve fought through one snafu after another. Missed deadlines, bad information and just plain silence over one glitch after another.

I haven’t owned a GM product in decades. Please tell me I can expect better with my SEV.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Considering these type of vehicles are in their infancy stage, it's more than ok to expect growing pains from all of them.

OP
OP

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Considering these type of vehicles are in their infancy stage, it's more than ok to expect growing pains from all of them.
I’m not talking about growing pains. I’m talking about weeks long stays in Service waiting for a call back from Ford because they don’t know how to preform a required recall. I’m talking about 43 days lost use in 7 months of ownership beginning the day after delivery. I’m talking about absence of features I paid for because the dealer doesn’t know how to activate them and Ford isn’t returning their calls. I’m talking about Ford CS reps that think Bluecruise is something to do with my warranty. Shall I continue or are you getting the idea that I’m a little dissatisfied?

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
Best of luck but your barking up the wrong tree in here. Unless you just wanted to vent then have at it. ;)

OP
OP

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Best of luck but your barking up the wrong tree in here. Unless you just wanted to vent then have at it. ;)
So you’re saying I can expect no better from GM?

If that is status quo for EVs, I’m out.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
Don't know till I deal with them. Logic would tell me the company isn't still in business screwing people. Ford either for that matter.

You just happen to have had some bad luck. Nothing I would cover with a blanket statement that ALL transactions must be as horrible as you've encountered.

Cmiller81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford bronco
Occupation
Nurse
It’s been over a year since I ordered my Mach-E. Seven months since I took delivery. Through it all I’ve fought through one snafu after another. Missed deadlines, bad information and just plain silence over one glitch after another.

I haven’t owned a GM product in decades. Please tell me I can expect better with my SEV.
Ford really isn't that great when it comes to new stuff. I had a braonco and they screwed up everything and still screwing up that release

Afn10694

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Bolt, 2000 Silverado 2500, 1967 Austin Healy
Occupation
Retired Pharmacist

I had the first Chevy Volt in my area and an early Bolt. I have had no trouble at all with service. Had the battery replaced under recall last month. Took a while for my turn to come up in the massive size of the recall but went smoothly and I was never out of service.. Guess it all depends on your dealer.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Decades? So the last GM you had was prior to the 1980s? If that's the case you'll be shocked at what you find now. When the GMT400 platform was launched in 1988 it was an absolute train wreck. I can't even begin to list all the problems. Pressurized-gas operated front differential actuators that, surprise surprise, would stop working in cold weather during snow storms, paint that wouldn't stick to body panels, cab mounts that would fall apart and let the front of the bed and rear of the cab form a misaligned angle, electrical gremlins galore, we could go on all day. They were objectively the worst trucks ever built. But, being stranded at least once annually on the side of the road prior to the smartphone era did make for some great stories to tell the grandkids one day.

Since then, they haven't gotten much better. I made the mistake of leasing a 2006 Silverado and it went to the shop 10 times in the first 12 months. And if you look at the current product, it's so poor that for the first time in history Ram has surpassed them in sales on a consistent basis.

Everything GM makes is poorly engineered and terribly designed garbage. Their service departments are also the pits. And Corporate will try anything they can to weasel out of warranty repairs. Diesel guys have the worst end of that deal. When I see their "Professional Grade" motto on TV commercials I always laugh. I'd hate to see what they consider "Contractor Grade"!

But, here we are in 2022 and fuel costs are insane and people are wanting electric trucks and GM is the only game in town. Ford has sold out. Rivian is over-priced. Ram hasn't shown us what they're bringing to the table. So GM is it. If you want an EV truck right now, GM's reservation list is where it's at. Let's all hope for the best.

OP
OP

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Decades? So the last GM you had was prior to the 1980s? If that's the case you'll be shocked at what you find now. When the GMT400 platform was launched in 1988 it was an absolute train wreck. I can't even begin to list all the problems. Pressurized-gas operated front differential actuators that, surprise surprise, would stop working in cold weather during snow storms, paint that wouldn't stick to body panels, cab mounts that would fall apart and let the front of the bed and rear of the cab form a misaligned angle, electrical gremlins galore, we could go on all day. They were objectively the worst trucks ever built. But, being stranded at least once annually on the side of the road prior to the smartphone era did make for some great stories to tell the grandkids one day.

Since then, they haven't gotten much better. I made the mistake of leasing a 2006 Silverado and it went to the shop 10 times in the first 12 months. And if you look at the current product, it's so poor that for the first time in history Ram has surpassed them in sales on a consistent basis.

Everything GM makes is poorly engineered and terribly designed garbage. Their service departments are also the pits. And Corporate will try anything they can to weasel out of warranty repairs. Diesel guys have the worst end of that deal. When I see their "Professional Grade" motto on TV commercials I always laugh. I'd hate to see what they consider "Contractor Grade"!

But, here we are in 2022 and fuel costs are insane and people are wanting electric trucks and GM is the only game in town. Ford has sold out. Rivian is over-priced. Ram hasn't shown us what they're bringing to the table. So GM is it. If you want an EV truck right now, GM's reservation list is where it's at. Let's all hope for the best.
Ouch!

astricklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer, 2013 Toyota Prius C

This seems to be status quo for new vehicles. Especially entirely new models. And if you think the GM dealers will be more interested and educated about EVs, look into the history of sales of the volt and bolt. Chevy pretends to be committed to BEVs but I honestly think they're only in it for the tax credits (and now because the it's good marketing).

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Mini Countryman
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Correction, if you want an EV truck in a couple years.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Correction, if you want an EV truck in a couple years.
Perhaps, but to get one in a couple of years you have to act right now. That was my point. As of today, no action can be taken on the Ford or Ram offerings for different reasons. GM is the only game in town.

rdr854

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F-150 Lightning,19 Volvo S60, 18 Volvo V90

I can only speak to my experience with my 16, 17 and 19 Suburbans. With that generation of Suburban, GM had some teething issues with buffeting that for some folks was difficult if not impossible to fix. Additionally, there were AC evaporator issues in the 15 and 16 Suburbans. My 19 Suburban was plagued with a repeated brake booster issue. I only sold the 19 Suburban because I ordered a Lightning EV. My hope is that it will be pretty solid since it is based upon the existing F150.

I will also note that GM had some significant issues with its launch of the 22 Suburban line — lifter problems in the motors.

No manufacturer is immune to launch problems. Even Toyota has had major issues with some of its vehicle lines.